Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Every New Beginning Starts With Some Other Beginning's End

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, December 31, 2006

Every New Beginning Starts With Some Other Beginning's End






And here I sit.

Waiting for everyone to arrive to start eating supper. The last supper of 2006.

And everyone who will eat here is someone that I didn't know last New Year's. Everyone who I will hug, or kiss, or laugh with tonight is someone who has only known me a short time... not even 5% of my total life so far. The longest friendships I have here (tonight) are Steve, Stu, Nicola, Max, Lana and Bryce. And they are only longer by a few days on Karen, Matt, Helen and Dave. Others, like Amy, Jessica and Jeannie can be counted in weeks. But it's quality, not quantity, right?

These people have defined my life here in Korea. They have made my memories here as special as any that I could imagine having.

And this does not mean that I have forgotten anyone back in Canada. On the contrary, it's at times like these that I miss you all the most. I don't know who reads (or doesn't) my blog (except for those who leave comments), but even the blog has now evolved into something that I didn't expect it to be - my journal of my time here. I sometimes forget the things I have done, and go back reading over again and reliving again the times that I've had here.

This year, I have:

  • moved from Montreal, leaving behind almost all I owned;
  • moved from Canada, leaving behind my family, friends and cats;
  • gained (and lost) new friends;
  • gained new perspectives and new insights about myself;
  • walked in the shoes of the illiterate, the foreign and the lost;
  • not been present when my best Canadian friends may have needed me;
  • stood on a mountaintop in Korea;
  • sat on the Great Wall of China;
  • sunk my feet into the sands of Malaysia;
  • walked the streets of Singapore at midnight;
  • stood in the oldest temple imaginable in Japan;
  • eaten some weird, sometimes delicious, things that I never even knew existed;
  • swum with sharks, while dodging clown fish;
  • ridden my scooter (!) through rice paddies, on a highway and on winding single-lane roads to temples and beyond;
  • used a wide variety of toilets - from primitive Malaysian squats to heated Japanese bidets;
  • become "the Hostess", "the Sister", "the Organizer";
  • bathed with a hundred other naked women in a Korean bath house;
  • been treated like a queen, or a lackey...
There are times when I stop. When I look around. When I ask myself the seemingly simple question of "How did I get here?". When I don't know how to answer but to shake it off, and keep on going to the next adventure.

Because I know that this is only just the beginning.

Happy New Year

14 Comments:

  • Happy New Year! I'm taking off to Toronto to meditate with a friend at a Tibetan temple, and to toot my new trumet in case it is time! I have tea in a tight thermos and hope you do too!

    By Blogger Elbows, at 9:13 PM  

  • You're always present when I need you. Even if you only grunt into the phone. Happy New Year Auntie Wirhinia!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 AM  

  • Happy New Year Virginia! miss you too but I am so delighted every time I hear about your new adventures that it definitly makes up for it. Katrina :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:37 AM  

  • Hi Its MOM, you are living a privileged life, not because it was to given you and not because you are lucky but because you got up and grabbed at an opportunity and ran with it. Keep it up.
    Love you lots, Happy 2007 MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:22 AM  

  • Best comment of the year: the one above from your mom.

    Worst comment of the year: the above carspam.

    Here's to more carpe diem and less car spam in 2007.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:48 AM  

  • Deleted the carspam.

    Forgot to add the following to the list:

    - stole a Korean unification flag in broad daylight;
    - Visited yet another Communist country, or two;
    - got attacked by a monkey;
    ....

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 10:00 AM  

  • happy new year!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:19 PM  

  • Wow, superbe rapport de ton année, je n'aurais pu faire mieux: surtout que j n'ai certainement pas le dixième de tout ce que tu as pu réaliser au cours de cette année. Toutes mes félicitations et bonne année à toi aussi.
    En passant, je lis ton blog pas mal plus souvent que tu peux le penser...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:19 AM  

  • its alan

    meaghan is feeling much better but stayed at home, Ann and our respective flocks of Parkers are at mom's having a new years day open house feast

    As mom's comment so aptly says,you are fortunate! Not for what you have but rather for what you REALIZE* what you have and moreso for the potential that it represents.

    *both meanings - 'to make real' and 'to fully appreciate'

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:15 AM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:18 AM  

  • Hey Ms. Parker...it's been a long time for me to write...but I am back, and so very happy for all that you have accomplished. We are only minute-friends as well, but I count you among my friends- a soul sister who has jumped on the ride of life. I have been on before and can't wait to jump on again!! We miss you here in Canada...best of luck in 2007. Love Monica xoxo

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:18 AM  

  • WO!
    Was just reading «L'Amicale des Anciens» and saw the text about your trip and everything and euhm well there I am reading your blog.
    Was just amazed to see where you were just right now, and I'm glad that it happened to you, it must be a great experience.

    By the way, thanks for the english classes, so useful, I now have a cool job where «yes no toasters» are not allowed.
    It also was my turn to "teach" english last summer to 10-12 years old kids in an english camp, had the time of my life. Thank you for giving me that chance in a certain way.

    Isa

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:16 PM  

  • Thank you Isabelle (former student) for the comment. I appreciate it.

    As a teacher, it means the world.

    xoxo

    Ms Parker

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 5:29 PM  

  • What about the two monsters from Mokpo? Weren't we there for two or three or your "memorable moments?"

    Happy New year!!!!

    By Blogger Brent, at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home