Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Thus endeth the interesting blog posts

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, July 27, 2007

Thus endeth the interesting blog posts

The Jeollanamdo Language Programme has this amazing English camp coming up for the entire month of August. It will be in three locations across the province, for elementary and middle school kids. In addition to the dozens of Korean and waygook English teachers who are involved in this thing (either to develop lesson plans or, like me, teach), there are 30-odd teachers from Portland, Oregon. From what I could gather, some of them are in the Masters' Programme there for TESL, and are getting school credit for it. The others are doing it for the heck of it. They will have a homestay with a Korean family, work their butts off for a month of camp (please note that working at a camp means, literally, being "on" for 24 hours a day), then probably travel around Korea a bit before they head back home.

I was at the camp orientation for two full days. During this time, we were pretty much practicing the lesson plans and seeing what needed to be modified or whatever to fit into the time constraints. Many of the Portland teachers had never taught before (or at least hadn't in this context) so this gave them a chance to practice teaching as well. Watching them brought me back to when we would do our practice teaching sessions at Concordia (uhhh, 10 years ago??? I seem to be in my 9th year of teaching - what??), and you suddenly realize that teaching really isn't all that easy.

Most of the people from Portland that I got a chance to speak to have to be some of the most amazing, open-minded people I've ever met. And I admit that I really really really coveted all their clothes and accessories and shoes too... (I can just imagine what they thought of me staring at their sandals and asking what size shoe they wore or breaking off mid-sentence to ask them where they bought such and such t-shirt. Freak!)

It was also a great chance to meet some of the most open and talented Korean English teachers that I've ever seen. Unlike some of the teachers I've worked with (especially last year), these were teachers who spoke amazing English AND were teaching using newer teaching methods and not the old-fashioned stuff that is usually found. I spent most of my time with Eugene, who had even mastered the art of sarcasm in English - exciting stuff: A sarcastic conversation with a middle-aged Korean man!!

The orientation was two days long - and they were two long days. I would be up around 5 to get ready and meet my ride (with Emmanuel and Warren) and not get back home until later in the evening. The organization of the whole thing was, uh, Jessica's favourite word which I can't repeat here because my mom is reading this, which was really frustrating for me since I wouldn't have had to leave my bike in Jeju if I hadn't had to come back for this thing.

Anyway, last night, I grabbed about 6 of the Portland folks and took them around Gwangju (Emart, Shinsegae, downtown) for some shopping before heading to Cock for supper (It's a chicken restaurant, okay??? Pervert.). For some, it was the first "real Korean food" that they were eating.... and once again, I was struck with their optimism and amazing attitudes as they went on about how they were looking forward to "eating real Korean food everyday". I won't meet up with them until the middle of August now (when I do my part for the camp), but I'm willing to bet that they'll be sick of rice by then.

Back in Mokpo, the cats (Jakob, and Alex's cat Maybe who I am babysitting) and I have been spending a lot of quality time with the air-conditioner. It's absolutely ridiculously hot here. I literally had to talk myself into running errands this morning. The other day, I went for a hike at 7 am, before the heat of the day had a chance to really start, and was absolutely sopping wet after only about 10 minutes of walking. It's the sort of heavy humid, sunny hot, cicadas are singing, walking for 5 paces makes you sweat sort of heat. There aren't a lot of other foreigners about these days (they've mostly headed home or on vacation), so I'm probably going to end up being a total air-conditioning hermit next week, until I head to North Korea for the weekend (woohoo - can't wait!).

3 Comments:

  • Hi Its MOM interesting blog, but couldn't figure out the title - please explain. I just sent you a photo of my herbs, now how interesting is that? you who is going to N Korea & all?

    Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:39 PM  

  • I'm glad you found it interesting - there aren't many people left in Mokpo, I'm bored, and I figured that my blog will be boring too (or certainly not as exciting as Jeju was)....

    I'm going to North Korea with a tour group, but my friend JP and one of his friends is also going, so I won't be the only waygook on the tour.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:25 AM  

  • I am trying to leave you a comment, but I can't be sure it will work, as this computer operates in Korean. This is Fallon, one of the lucky few who got to go to COCK with you on Thursday. Much thanks for the experience! I'm looking forward to hearing about North Korea. Hopefully this comment will allow you to check out my blog if you are interested. Thanks again!

    By Blogger Fallon, at 4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home