Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Ice Skating in Suncheon

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, December 02, 2007

Ice Skating in Suncheon

Well, Ty was supposed to be back from South Africa last week, but that didn't happen. I expect to see him in about 100 hours or so (but who's counting?), as he'll be getting into Korea on Thursday night.

I decided to head up to Suncheon to visit Nina. There's something about visiting Nina that just makes me feel so content. Any time I've just gone to her place to hang out, I leave feeling calm and relaxed (and well-fed). It certainly bodes well for Bali/Lombok, since we'll be meeting up there in mid-January.


We first headed out to one of Suncheon's ice rinks (there are two!) for an afternoon of ice skating with our friend Kotie. Now, Nina had skates on her feet as soon as she could walk, meaning that she was skating circles (literally) around me and Kotie. Actually, I was kind of proud of myself - I didn't fall once - and very proud of Kotie, who hadn't skated in ages (she's from South Africa, where there is no ice at all ever, no really, I'm sure of this... ), but who kept on going for a full hour. Naturally, we made friends (little girls who followed us around), and laughed ourselves silly.

Afterwards, we headed to Tom n' Tom's (Suncheon's Starbucks clone) for lattes and hot chocolate (because what's the point of ice skating if there's no hot chocolate afterwards??) and on to Homeplus/Tescos, where I discovered a huge selection of organic deliciousness that certainly wasn't there when I was living in Suncheon (not bitter at all...).

Nina and I finished off with supper at Julianna's (yum, the fajitas) with Melissa and Chris, who I hadn't seen in ages. We were all too exhausted (and over-fed) to make it a long evening, so Nina and I returned to the comfort of her apartment/TV and vegged until sleep overcame us.

Sunday morning, I headed out early-ish to meet up with Jessika for coffee and girl-talk before grabbing my bus for a very rainy ride back to Mokpo.

It's nice to return to Suncheon now. I still seem to know my way around there better than in Mokpo, and although I can't see everyone that I want to, I can still happen upon old friends from last year. I just hope that everyone who promised to "come to Mokpo soon" will actually do so!

2 Comments:

  • Hi its MOM Yes, NINA is calming. I still remember the day Nina suggested that we dash out to a small island off the coast of Suncheon. Here we climbed to it's hill top along a foot massaging path ( true, you went bare foot over smooth rocks, ends of branches & tiny pebbles right to the top - Koreans think of everything) At the top there was a small look out over all the small islands & as we sat there enjoying the view, we listened to classical music - piped in ever so quietly into the surrounding forest - like where else do you ever get that? More surprises to come - we went down the other side & came upon a fountain in the middle of nowhere. The fountain was much like the one at the Belagio in Vegas, a huge computerized one that danced to music, so there we lay, on wooden benches watching & listening to this majic, with only a handful of Koreans doing the same. No where else on earth would this well kept little secret be kept a secret. Thanks NINA for a memorable day. Love to both of you MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:31 PM  

  • Dear Virginia's Mom....

    Tell that to my Mom....Blushes...she'll think you're off your rocker...remember when the bus driver wouldn't let us off at the corner....was I calming then....I would go with bipolar and Virginia keeps finding me on the good days....thanks for the compliments....you're not so bad yourself...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home