Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Scootering, Orphans and Monkey Attacks

Ms Parker in Korea!

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Scootering, Orphans and Monkey Attacks

Today, I picked up my scooter from the shop (it now purrs like a kitten, while my kitten purrs like a scooter) then Nina and I headed out to points unknown around Suncheon. We motored out of the city, and into some of the most scenic countryside I've ever seen here. Half the time, I had to keep from driving off the road as I gazed around at mountain vistas and farmers working in their fields, harvesting rice.

We stopped at a place called "SOS Children" (we assume that it's an orphanage of some sort), where we were swarmed by a herd (flock? gaggle?) of young kids. They were more interested in the scooters than in Nina or I, and took turns honking the horns, stealing our keys and hopping on and off our bikes. Nina took the boy in the white shirt for a little ride before a man waved at us, telling us to go away.

We continued on, while the road dwindled from blacktop to concrete, winding up and up a mountain. Not really knowing where we were, we just kept on going, asking for directions from time to time. At one point, we found an abandoned school. It was small, with only three classrooms, and what seemed to be living quarters off to one side. The yard was overgrown with weeds and the building was absolutely crumbling. In Canada, it's sure that this place would have been vandalized, graffitied and full of garbage. Here, however, it was just naturally falling down.

We continued on, still "lost" but having a real hoot. Our next stop was what seemed to be a restaurant with a "mini-zoo" behind it. The zoo consisted of 2 macaques in a cage (not the ones in the picture, but you get the idea), with no food or water. I took my water bottle and passed it through the cage bars to one of them, who guzzled it, then began shrieking. Suddenly, there was a rustling in the bamboo thicket behind us. As Nina yelled at me to get back on my scooter, a larger version of the guys in the cage arrived. He studied us for a moment then, as we sped away, actually gave chase!

The rest of our trip was, thankfully, less eventful. I'm probably going to head out there again tomorrow, and take pictures all the way through. It's just amazingly gorgeous, and a great (cheap - about 2 bucks in gas) way to spend the afternoon.

10 Comments:

  • I WANT A SCOOTER... I WANT A SCOOTER... I WANT A SCOOTER... I WANT A SCOOTER... I WANT A SCOOTER... I WANT A SCOOTER!!! LoL - hope your ok from last night - must catch up for coffee. Much talking must be done - my brain is going soft!
    Jamesx

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:48 PM  

  • If you're nice, I'll take you for a ride one day.

    I can't believe that nobody cares that I was almost attacked by a monkey!

    Attacked by a monkey, people! Like, what did you do today?

    Typical conversation:

    Q: What did you do today?
    A: Oh, you know. Got up, made a sandwich, GOT ATTACKED BY A MONKEY, dropped by the grocery store, went home... Pretty ho-hum day.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 3:19 AM  

  • i care you got attacked by a monkey! your so brave!

    sounds like you had quite the day today. the scooter was a great investment. i love to "get lost" too. that's why it takes me 10 hrs to drive back from patti's place!

    check your email, ok?

    kel:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:53 PM  

  • how to get virginia to shut up and move when a monkey is lunging towards her...jet scooter forward suddenly and insanely yell her name.."VIRGINIA!!!"

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:11 PM  

  • TAKE ME! Take me! take me!I want to go too!!!!!!

    I also care that you were almost attacked by a caged monkey...(???!!!)

    I'm so glad that you tried to give them water, poor things...why don't you give the SPCA a ring and let them know about this maltreatment???...ahhhhhhhhahhhhhhywachhhheslosghhh...makes one a bit mad doesn't it??

    wandoinaroundfeelingaboutconfusedaboutitall:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:13 PM  

  • I didn't mean to hang up on you this morning. My phone croaked. Then, I decided that if I went to the other phone and called you back you'd whine that you were already in bed. (I'm right aren't I?)

    If you'd like, I will have time to call around 8pm your time on Tuesday. Lemme know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:29 PM  

  • Hi Its Mom I haven't forgotten about you or the blog, had jet lag, had to answer many phone calls & questions about Korea, had to work day after returning & now entertaining a friend from BC that I hadn't seen in a year & doing the tourist thing in Niagara Falls area in the rain for the past 4 days. Off to work tomorrow for 3 days, yikes, I need another holiday in Korea. Love to all of you, love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:44 PM  

  • Nicola, there were 2 caged scrawny starved monkeys in the cage, they got me briefly through the cage with their hands on my shirt they were very quick and I was startled but we learned fast not to get too close. Then Virginia gave them the water bottle, they drank, then started squaking and we heard this rustling in the bush behind. There was one that had escaped who was much bigger and healthier than the 2. He looked harmless and so we didn't panic but got on the bikes just in case. The monkey slowly made his way down the bamboo not seemingly paying any attention to us the sneaky bugger. Virginia couldn't see him as her back was turned to him, I was ahead of her and staring at him when he got to the ground and suddenly lunged for her bike she was still talking to me and I took off quick as he did this yelling her name, she caught on and moved with me thank god. After we got far enough away to reflect and calm down I was laughing hysterically from fear and surrealism.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:46 PM  

  • THE MONKEYS CAN TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!

    how did they know Virginia's name???

    Have you guys been on the giggle stuff????

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:36 PM  

  • "...I took off quick as he did this yelling her name..."

    Nooooo... Nina was yelling my name. Not the monkey! We hadn't been formally introduced yet. Maybe he was lunging towards the back of my scooter in order to shake my hand.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home