Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Brave and Crazy

Ms Parker in Korea!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Brave and Crazy

I rode Red Devil to work today.

Then rode her home again in the afternoon.

Then back to school again.

Then back home.

Happily, I picked the time when every single 18-wheeler in Korea goes through Suncheon on the same road as I do. That was a bit scary. However, given the fact that I fear even crossing the street here, I was pleasantly surprised that it just didn't seem that dangerous at all. I mean, you have to be alert and aware of everything around you, but it was no different from riding my bike around La Pocatiere with all the pick-up trucks passing me with 2 inches to spare. There are so many scooters and motorbikes on the road that you really seem to have your own space as a true vehicle.

Surreal moment: A man leaned out the passenger side window of the car he was in and kept waving and saying "Hi!", and wouldn't stop until I waved back. Thankfully, he didn't continue with the rest of the ritual ("How are you, I'm fine thank you. Where are you from? How old are you?...")

Mom arrives in 2 more sleeps! (which is good, because I'm down to my last squeeze of toothpaste. Also feel that body is lacking in essential vitamin pierogy - ya, she's bringing some from Canada. If Koreans can travel with kimchi, my Ukrainian mommy can travel with pierogies!)

And, I'm a green belt. (No, not like farmland... like TaeKwonDo)

And Jakob is proving that there is nothing more annoying than a kitten. His "crazy kitten hour" goes from 5 am to 7 am, at which point the next hour is devoted to attacking my ankles while I try to get ready for work. Any time the front door opens, he is out like a shot, running down the hall with tail puffed and back arched.

One of my students asked me my blood type today. And then nodded quite sagely when I told her "A+". I know this is a cultural thing, just not sure why.

6 Comments:

  • I'm glad that your life is so full, varied and interesting. I don't know what to comment on first. Actually, reflecting on it, this post deserves a chat whilst partaking in my morning coffee and a smoke. I'll call you in the morning.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:23 AM  

  • Hi Meron - I'll be home Thursday night (Korea), Thursday morning (Canada), cleaning entire apt in honour of Mom's arrival. Have even washed quilt.

    Ahhhhhhhh

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 9:45 AM  

  • hey, same blood type as me! let's make a deal. if either of us gets into a motorbike.scooter accident, the other will provide the blood :D

    Anyway, Koreans associate blood type with personality (much like our Type A, Type B personality).

    Just wait until Peppero Day (Nov 11th) when the student give you Peppero that's made "Espcially for you blood type", it's cute.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 9:46 PM  

  • Who or what is "Peppero"?

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:32 AM  

  • Isn't Peppero that Skunk in the Looney Tunes cartoons?

    Are they going to give you a skunk?

    By Blogger Brent, at 2:14 PM  

  • brent, I believe the character you're referring to is Peppy le Pew, who is adorable because he's hopelessly in love with a male cat. I personally believe that the cat has repressed issues about its sexual orientation because it's constantly putting itself in situations where it can end up with a white streak on its back...but i digress.

    Virginia, Peppero is a delightful snack thats a long thin stick of cookie-ish material either dipped in chocolate or filled with chocolate. Don't fear it, embrace it.

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 5:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home