Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Fireworks, dancing, sweating and cats

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, July 29, 2007

Fireworks, dancing, sweating and cats

Last night, Mrs Myeong took me out to the Mokpo "Sea Festival". We (her son, daughter, niece and nephew were also along - curious to play with the waygook) headed to Peace Square where, apparently, every other person in Mokpo was also conveniently located. After a bit of driving around, an illegal parking job, some kimbap and ice cream for everyone, we headed towards the dock where a white-uniformed band was playing "In the Navy" which, in fact, they were. Then, there was an amazing half-hour long fireworks display - possibly the best and most grandiose display that I've ever seen - which Mrs Myeong's nephew just loved (it was fun to talk to her niece and nephew - they aren't as shy as her kids and I was able to chat a bit with them).

Afterwards, we headed up Yudal-san, not far from my place, where a a "traditional Korean drum concert" was happening. I proved myself to be the biggest klutz in the world, of course, when I attempted to sit down on the floor seats - which were like chairs with no legs that were placed on the ground. Yeah - go ahead and try it now - just try to sit down gracefully! You can imagine my surprise when the music that was being played was not Korea, but African. There were even gorgeous, strong, African dancers that came out and danced too - hearing them speak to each other in French, and looking at the drums and outfits they wore (reminded me of Myrianne's pictures), led me to surmise that they might have been from West Africa.

Seeing as their style of dance requires, no demands, a butt and boobs, and there is nary a curve to be found in a Korean crowd, guess who got to go up and dance with them, shaking what her mama gave her? It's almost come to be an expectation. I was like, Hmmm, I'm one of 2 foreigners in the crowd, who wants to bet that I get dragged up on stage?

This morning, I decided to stop wimping out about the heat and humidity (and it was slightly cooler) and go for a walk up Yudal. I was so hot and humid that I literally looked like I'd taken a shower with my clothes on. I brought a book with me (Around the Bloc by Stephanie Elizondo Griest, which you all need to read NOW. Yes, I am getting a serious addiction to travel lit), and sat in a sort of shallow cave on the edge of a cliff and read. It's wicked awesome up there - you can only reach it by hiking most of the way up Yudal, but on trails that seem to be hardly used and sometimes overgrown and nobody who happens to walk by on the (rarely used) trail can see you.

On my way back down, I went over the top of Yudal and met every person who lives within walking distance of Yudal. Fortunately, my clothes had dried enough so that I only looked like I'd peed my pants. Great.

As I arrived home, I heard a very insistent meow. I looked down from the road I was walking on, and saw a black and white cat who was tied up outside a house. I decided to walk down to see what the deal was, and was greeted with purrs and happy talk-y meows. Her water bowl was an old tupperware container, and absolutely green with algae. The food bowl was leftovers (rice and ???) and full of ants. She was tied by a rough piece of rope that went around her neck. Was she someone's pet? Was she destined for the rice cooker? Was she tied up for some other reason - to scare away mice as the cat that Sloane rescued was? With these thoughts in mind, I returned home to my own spoiled cat, grabbed some cat food, filled a bottle with water, and headed back to where the cat was, muttering under my breath about the treatment of animals in Korea and wondering how I would react if someone confronted me.

As I was washing out her bowl, the door to the house opened, and an old old lady came out. Imagine, if you will, walking outside to find a sweaty stranger playing with your cat -- and she smiled at me and sat down. I showed her that the water bowl was dirty and she nodded, and I tried to explain to her that I had a cat at home. I fed the little kitty who immediately dug in , and handed the rest of the food to the old lady, who continued chatting to me. She looked at the food in the bag and asked something. I didn't understand. She asked again. and again. Finally, it clicked: She was asking me where to buy cat food. I don't know if she actually intends to buy cat food - I mean, it's a hassle for me to get it sometimes, and I still don't know if the cat is there for fun or food, but she listened to me as I told her to change the water everyday, and I might stop by there tomorrow with Luna's old harness that Jakob refuses to wear, so that she won't be tied up by her neck anymore.

Tonight, I will head back to the drum concert - but this time, it's going to be pure Korean. See if I get to go up and dance again....

5 Comments:

  • When do you go to N Korea? Jacques has an ear infection again, and is once more called the greasy little Frenchman. $120.00 at the vet for his drugs! How we love our babies huh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:12 PM  

  • Hi Its Mom Remember the drum concert in Seoul that we found? What a surprise to hear drums from all over the world - so unexpected. It was spectacular!

    Poor kitty, as I write this Max is on my knee after having her breakfast of Holistic Select duck meal & oatmeal formula at $18 a bag - and you think I don't look after her????? She is getting better treatment then you do when you are home Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 PM  

  • I'm so proud at how you're teaching the Koreans to better take care of their pets... keep up the good job :)

    I just got back from a 5 week camp full of kids with all sorts of learning disabilities... very tough month...but I'm glad I went... Miss you lots... talk to you soon :)
    April

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:47 PM  

  • Thank you for doing that for the little kitty...just one good show of good will is the best example...its a long fight...one at a time...kudos..I would have done the same....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 AM  

  • Thanks guys... I did buy a bag of food for that kitty. And I stop by every so often to see if the water has been changed etc.

    We can't change the world, but we can change our corner of it.

    V

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home