Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Hey... I seem to be going to Taiwan tomorrow!

Ms Parker in Korea!

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Hey... I seem to be going to Taiwan tomorrow!

It's kind of funny how I have done no research about Taiwan at all. Usually, when I am visiting a country, I start out by reading a guidebook, researching on the internet, exploring fiction written from that area's authors.... I learn a few words of the language, read a bit about the politics. It's what I am currently doing for Turkey, Syria and Jordan...

And this time? Nothing. I know next to nothing about Taiwan, except a bit of its history (related to China and independence).

And this is certainly not because I am not excited about it. On the contrary, Taiwan is one of the places I decided that I would visit before I even left for Korea. I am totally psyched up to just get there already!!!

I think the reason that I am so relaxed about the planning aspect, is that I am going with Nina and Christa. Nina used to live there, and she is going to be our "guide". She has already figured out where we are going and what we are doing. All I have to do is follow along and take pictures. Oh, and shop. Am definitely excited about that. And eat. I've already decided to come home poor and fat.

Those of you who have followed international news (in Canada) or local news (in Korea) know that there is a big typhoon that was threatening us all week. Put your fears to rest now... this storm is *not* going to interfere with our trip at all. See? Here's a little picture - it's from last Wednesday, but you get the idea. That peninsula up on the right is Korea. Taiwan is south of China.


It's been a good week. Besides the glory of the island school, I have also had supper with Alex (always fun), been fed deliciously by Nicola, and hosted the Club Joie de Vivre (French night). This morning, I went to a different school to do five kindergarten classes in a row. I was greeted with applause and cheers and justs had a great time there. Teaching is the best job in the world.

I also received my first ever Chuseok gift (from the kindergarten school). It's a ridiculously huge box all wrapped up with gold paper. I haven't opened it yet... okay... let's go see what's inside.

It's a big box of.....

DRIED SEAWEED.

I'm thinking... regift.

2 Comments:

  • Have fun in Taiwan I want a full description of the food and shopping madness. Was the entire box filled with seaweed?...maybe the seaweed was used a packing peanuts for what was really a wonderful and exquisitely tiny gift.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:26 AM  

  • Hi Its Mom Have a good time in Taiwan. Love you MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home