Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: You are never bored if you are not being boring.

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, September 07, 2007

You are never bored if you are not being boring.

Sooooooooooooooooo..... where do I start? How about with Wednesday night?

Mr Shane (my recruiter from Canada) arrived in Mokpo and piggy-backed onto the first official meeting of the Club Joie de Vivre (Mokpo chapter), which is a French-speaking club started up mostly by Emanuel and a little bit by me. Anyway, we met at the appropriately named "Cafe Manon", which is a great little cafe-that-is-not-a-brothel (as many "coffee shops" in Korea are wont to be). There was precious little French spoken that night, as we were all too excited to see each other and too busy talking to Mr Shane about lesson plans (Alex) and general gossip.

See, Mr Shane was in Mokpo because he was coming to, um, follow me around with a video camera to show people what life is like in Korea. I was a bit confused as to why anyone would want to watch me chat on msn/play on Facebook/blog for 6 hours, which is really how I spend my day at school, but decided that it might be fun.

So.... on Thursday morning, I woke up bright and early and cleaned the entire apartment, including washing dishes (I have a rule that I only wash the dishes when I know someone is coming over), made the bed, and tried not to kill the cat when he attacked my be-stockinged leg and tore my new imported-from-Canada pantyhose. Then, I threw my kitchen rug out the window (I was shaking it out) and watched in horror as it landed on my downstairs neighbour's air conditioning unit. While I was trying to figure out how to mime that little tidbit, Mr Shane arrived, followed closely by my VP and a random secretary. Yeah.

So, Shane filmed my apartment, my school, four of my classes (Yes, I was actually teaching!!) and the cafeteria. The kids were soooo wicked awesomely good. They were perhaps shocked that Baginia Teacher was "wearing pretty" (under strict orders from my VP, who also told me to "clean house") and not the same pair of jeans that I wear every day. Once I get a copy of it, you can expect it to be on the blog.

Right. Then, after school, Ms Jeong took me (finally) took me to the cell phone hooking-up place to make my NEW CELLPHONE work. See, Stu and Jessica's whining at me to get a cell phone has finally paid off.... oh, and Stu got a new cell and handed me his old one. Yup, that's how badly he wanted me to have one.

Contrary to my phone in Canada, I paid nothing to hook anything up or get a number. I receive calls for free, can text rather cheaply and pay something like 6 cents a day for call display. Take that Bell Canada!!! Oh, and it will take pictures, play games, music and who knows what else (still need to explore it fully).....

So, after the phone hook up, I met up with a whole herd (gaggle? pride? pack?) of waygookin teachers and we went off for supper, which degenerated into drinking at Mokpo's fabled P-Club, which degenerated further and yadda yadda yadda, I have a headache this morning, but am looking forward to a Mokpo Girls' Night tonight.

Tomorrow, I am off to hike Wolchulsan again, because I apparently didn't learn my lesson the first time I did it (wow - so long ago! It was the first time I'd ever really hung out with Stu since our arrival in Korea)... followed by an evening in Gwangju.

See Jessica? I can go for a whole 5 minutes without mentioning Ty's name!

5 Comments:

  • So, when someone is bouncing along on a scooter/bus/bike exploring the countryside and having the time of their life, they'll have you to blame for convincing them to go to korea?

    cool

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:50 AM  

  • Hi its MOM Only a Mom can wonder if you ever got your rug back off the air conditioner. And don't forget you have a birthday coming up & I still don't have a wish list so that I can mail you off a care package.

    Have fun, but you are already having fun, so be careful, Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:55 AM  

  • I drew a little comic of me shaking out my rug and accidentally throwing it out the window and then a sad face and then my apartment number and then a happy face and stuck it next to the mailboxes downstairs.

    No, I am not kidding.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 12:01 PM  

  • Did it work? Or did people think the weygook was crazy?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:46 PM  

  • Hello,

    I am just a reader of blogs such as yours since i came in Suncheon to complete a master's course at the SNU from Ulaanbaatar.

    I like to read a lot about korean lifestyle and more.

    And i wonder if it would be a bit confused if i ask you a piece of advice to get a part-time english teacher around this city.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home