Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: End of Summer holidays....

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, August 31, 2008

End of Summer holidays....

It's my last evening of freedom before I start school again tomorrow morning. As it's the first week of classes, and as we *are* in Korea, I am pretty much counting on not teaching very much tomorrow. At any rate, I'm going to be doing the good teacher stand-by of "What did you do during summer vacation?" (I predict that all of my students will say, "I played video games" - the 6th graders anyway).

The past week has been, in a word, relaxing. I've managed to keep a low profile, but still meet up with quite a few of the new teachers who have just arrived in Mokpo. Seeing as I've basically just *lost* my social circle, and especially since Ty is still in South Africa for another week, it's good to know that there are new and interesting people coming in (wow, that sounded kinda selfish, like they're coming here just for me... heh).

After 2 weeks in Europe, a scant 48 hours in Seoul, and a week apart (and another week to go - UGH!), Ty and I are both thankful for the wonders of technology. He can actually text message me from his cell in South Africa (and I can text him back with Skype). This is much better than depending on the internet connections of South Africa, which seem to be sparse and s l o w. The first time he went home back last year, we sometimes went for a full week with barely any communication. Not an ideal situation, that.

Speaking of South Africa: No sooner had I unpacked from Europe that I started flipping through my SA guidebook. Plans also include diving in Mozambique and a possible pony trek (staying in 100% bug and snake-free huts, I am sure...) in Lesotho. Yeah, here's a map of Southern Africa, and don't worry - my African geography sucks too.

I find I have to go/plan to go to a place before I can find it on a map anymore (a few months ago, I admit that I *did* need to check a map of Europe to find Copenhagen, and 3 years ago, I would have hemmed and hawed quite a bit before finding Korea... so there).

And on that note, I'm wishing you a good week and hoping that my students missed me enough over the summer not to be too demonic.

1 Comments:

  • Re: our earlier conversation

    When I call on Thursday morning I will expect you to have a pen handy. I've since thought of several more places to go in the Western Cape. A good friend would e-mail pictures of the foundation- five-way thingie that she was talking about. The better friend can't find the aforementioned object by Google search.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home