Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Safety and children and a general rant

Ms Parker in Korea!

Monday, November 17, 2008

Safety and children and a general rant

Yesterday evening, I was looking out my kitchen window. What I can see is... a parking lot that leads to a busy street that runs parallel to the water. There are a few small fish markets on the other side of the road.

I leaned out my window and watched a family leaving the church next to my apartment building. Picture a mom, 2 kids, and a toddler wandering on ahead... The Mom and other kids are still about 10 metres behind the little guy, who has continued walking until he is standing about 1/3 of the way onto the near lane of the street.

In my mind, I am willing the woman (who *is* looking at her child) to call the kid back... to say, "Wait for us"... or to at least react as car after car slows, honks, and edges past the little boy. Suddenly, he breaks into a run.

He obviously didn't see the car coming the other direction. I've used to wonder what the term "sickening thud" might sound like in real life. From my vantage point, I watch the child run directly into the car, then crumple on the ground. I scream, "Oh my GOD!" and Ty runs to the window to see what's going on.

The car's driver slows and stops (causing, of course, the other cars behind him to honk... haven't they seen what just happened?).

The little boy stands up, and continues his run across the street.

He is joined by the Mom, his siblings or friends. They crowd around him. After what feels like 10 minutes (probably only 2), the family gets into the car that hit the little boy and drive off. On one hand, I am relieved... the man who drove into the boy (NOT his fault) is being a Good Samaritan and bringing them to get help. On the other hand, I also know that head and brain injuries do not immediately manifest themselves, and I am hoping against hope that the little boy is okay.

On this blog, I have generally been careful not to be over-critical of Korean culture. I may complain about the food, or state the facts of a school system that is so hard on the students... but these are, for the most part, observations.

But now, I am honestly wondering: Do Koreans hate children? I've seen enough kids standing up on the back seats of cars, or with their heads poking out of sunroofs. I've heard about the difficulties of other ex-pats who have had children here, and how they can't get safety certified car seats here, as most infants here are still carried on their mother's laps or backs in cars. I've watched kindergarteners carrying Exacto knives, and watched children with special needs be handed adult sized scissors, when they could barely handle a pencil. I've seen child after child at my school come in with a myriad of injuries (yes, including being hit by a car) caused by a general neglectful view of personal safety. It's quite normal for an entire class of students to be left unattended while the teacher attends "meetings" ~ a few months ago, I was the first person to intervene when a 4th grader put his foot through a window, leaving a jagged shard of glass poking out or his ankle. My school found me odd when I refused to have a ridiculous gas-powered, open-flamed heater brought into my classroom. Last week, when my classroom door lock was replaced, the custodian laughed when I asked him to do it again, as there were long rusty nails poking through the door at eye-height for a child.

Say what you will about North Americans being "too safe" or "paranoid" and then tell me if you would let your child run across a busy street without you... without holding your hand, or without at least knowing to look both ways. You know, accidents do happen... we all have battle scars from our childhoods (I even had a memorable run-in with a BBQ flame) but it doesn't mean that you need to stop doing everything in your power, as a parent, as a teacher, as a responsible adult, to prevent these accidents from becoming daily occurances.

8 Comments:

  • Report from 2002... Seems they've learnt nothing from it though...
    http://www.koreamed.org/SearchBasic.php?DT=1&RID=201298

    Out of only (just over) 2000 kids, over half have had accidents and over a quater of those were traffic accidents!

    By Blogger Goulash, at 1:53 PM  

  • You just don't understand Korean culture.

    You saw the stuff I posted regarding the Suncheon bus accident this spring. About how Korea is the most dangerous country in the world for pedestrians, and about how Korean parents actually protested against a carseat rule, and had it repealed a day after it went into effect.

    Like I said when people came after me for being negative---because, um, traffic accidents and indifference toward public safety is usually such a positive thing---there's nothing negative about trying to keep people safe. I wish I had an answer as to why nobody uses seatbelts. I mean, they see them in the car, right? When I did a little survey among my students, most of them said they wear their seatbelts in airplanes, but most said they don't wear them in the cars. And when I'm in the car with Korean adults they always laugh at me when I buckle up in the back seat, and the driver makes jokes about how she's really a safe driver.

    Anyway, now I'm rambling, and it's hard to write on these topics without attracting haters. But one of the other blogs is collecting examples of authority figures failing young people here. That is, the police failing to do anything about kidnappings, teachers regularly beating the hell out of students and forcing them to sacrifice their youths for tests, and parents dumping their kids outside from 7 am to 10 pm. I think this extreme lack of interest in public safety would be another such example.

    By Blogger Brian, at 2:17 PM  

  • Those are frightening statistics... It's hard not to cross the "culture line" when you are writing about things that are NOT a part of the culture per se.

    I know, Brian, that you often get criticized for being too harsh about some things... I just don't see that there are 2 ways to look at things like this: either your children are in danger because of safety issues, or they aren't.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 2:21 PM  

  • The neglect here sometimes amazes me. I've seen children playing literally in the road while cars whiz by them while the adjummas that are "watching over the kids" are sitting around chatting. I don't know how there are not more child fatalities as a result of sheer neglect.

    By Blogger Zach, at 8:15 AM  

  • Hi Its MOM I'm sorry about your BBQ accident. You were not even 2yrs old & were running around & grapped the hot BBQ with both your little hands. I was in the kitchen. OUch!!! Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:45 PM  

  • hey ruth,

    i remember back when i worked in dhahran shops fixing heavy equipment and a sri lankan guy dropped a large piece of metal on his sandal-clad foot the afternoon after a morning safety lecture. The conclusion reached by my asian expat co-workers was that he got hurt because he didn't understand english well enough to benefit from the safety talk. Apparently common sense must be translated precisely for it to be effective. Another time when a saudi pointed out that allah decided who lived and who died and to think that wearing a seatbelt could possibly alter his master plan was tantamont to blasphemy. Safety first? Don't need it with god on your side; can't help you when he's not! have fun in UAE....

    al

    p.s. thanks for the care package. I ate the squid (but I though it was seaweed at the time) and ketchup-flavoured candies - very good! - still not sure if i like ginseng jellies yet - might be an aquired taste

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:43 AM  

  • Just found your blog and am finding it fascinating reading. As a jemi gyopo I feel you know a lot more about korean culture than I do, and find your examples really terrifying (esp as a parent myself). Just 2 small points: (1) no one was more paranoid and careful about child safety than my korean father and I've seen my cousins in Korea be equally careful with their children. (2) I've been in mexico a lot and seen very similar situations as you describe. A bunch of 5 year old kids standing on the back bumper of a truck on a bumpy road while adults laugh at the kids having fun.

    Perhaps this is all more a class thing than necessarily a national characteristic? Just an idea.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:29 PM  

  • Thanks for the comments guys.

    I meant no disrespect to the culture, and I do NOT think it's a cultural thing at all!!!

    If you knew that your 4 year old was being left unattended in a classroom full of art supplies, would you be worried? I think that, in a lot of cases, the parents just don't know to what extent the kids are alone to run around and chase each other with sticks... at my school anyway.

    I've seen kids in dangerous traffic situations in Mexico, Cambodia, India... the difference (for me) is that none of these countries makes the same claim to being an economic power and none of them has as developed an education system as Korea does. Picture a nice SUV, driven by a powerful looking businessman in a suit who is chatting on the latest cell phone, while his wife, dripping in Chanel sits beside him... but with a kid standing on the back seat with his head out the sunroof. Not exactly a pickup on a dirt road now, is it?

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 7:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home