Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: The week thus far...

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, November 28, 2008

The week thus far...

Alrighty, it's been a really big week, and I've just got to update a bit.

Because I want to really do justice to the insane weekend that was our flying lessons, I'm going to write about them on Saturday, when I've promised myself a day of NOTHING (except writing about the flying lessons, of course).

As time is of the essence for the UAE job (possible starting time in January 2009), I had to get cracking on the paperwork that they requested. Because Korea has an awesome health system, I was able to get a complete physical (including blood tests, hearing tests, chest x-rays, and having the doctor fill out a 7-page form) just by walking into a hospital. The whole process only took about an hour and a half! Pretty good!

Oh, and I'm really really healthy, which is also good to know.

On Monday, I headed up to Seoul on the KTX with the idea of going to get stamps at the UAE Embassy in Seoul. Monday night, I stayed at the Dragon Hills spa, a jimjilbang just outside of the Yongsan station in Seoul. It's part bathhouse, part sauna, with restaurants, a pool, a patio... just about everything you might need... and the whole thing costs just $12. You have to pay extra for anything else you get, but it's all really reasonably priced. I decided that I deserved a massage, so for about $70, I got the best massage of my life. It lasted over an hour, and gave new meaning to the word "pummeling".

On Tuesday, I ran to the Canadian Embassy and the UAE Embassy on what was a mostly fruitless journey. My documents, it seems, have to be stamped in Canada because they come from Canada. Fortunately, after a good cry, I realized that my niece lives in Ottawa and, with a few frantic e-mails back and forth, she agreed to get the necessary stamps on the necessary documents for me. Big sigh of relief, and a big shout-out to Meaghan.

On Wednesday, I sent off almost all the documents and paperwork I needed to send off to either the UAE or Canada. You probably heard my audible sigh of relief once everything was stamped and sent through. You may also have heard my audible groans as, being in a Korean post office meant that while my things were being dealt with (poor guy had 4 different things to send off to 4 different destinations for me), I was also being pushed out of the way by random people who also had things to send.... or who just wanted to stand next to me and admire my beauty. Fingers are crossed that people in Abu Dhabi don't push as much as Korean women.

On Thursday, Ty took the cats to the vet to have them micro-chipped and vaccinated for the move. Yes, we are taking them with us and yes, it's probably a more complicated process than it needs to be. At the vet's, Jakob suddenly went nuts and shredded Ty's hand, was tranquilized (twice) by the vet, and then stood and glared at them - fully awake - until the whole thing was over. Sonagi was, naturally, calm and cool and didn't even wince when she got the micro-chip put in. Anyone who has ever been with *me* in a hospital will appreciate the similarities between me and Jakob when being faced with a doctor (Ty has been with me in a hospital, when my toenail came off in Seoul in August, and is just thankful that I don't come with razor sharp teeth and claws).

Amongst all this, there was also my real life of school etc happening. Today, I am one of the judges for a huge city-wide English competition, and tonight, my glorious Quiz team is hosting the Mokpo Pub-quiz Night, armed with MENSA level questions....

And so... things are generally moving along, but there is still so much more to do. I just hope that every week won't be as insane as this one.

2 Comments:

  • It seems as if nothing has changed in your life. It's always hurry up! Wait...Hurry up!...wait. My fingers and toes are crossed that everything turns out well for you guys.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:14 PM  

  • i KNEW that kid of mine would come in handy one day....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home