Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: The Scooter Diaries

Ms Parker in Korea!

Thursday, October 26, 2006

The Scooter Diaries






So, today I had the day off. Yes, well, I haven't actually taught a class since October 16. My students had exams last week, and this week is some sort of class field trip (token foreigners not wanted on the voyage - boo!) to Jeju Island.

Although the weather has changed (autumn is in the air!), Nina and I decided to brave the cooling temperature (and a bit of rain) to take the scooters out again.

It's amazing how the landscape changes: Only a few streets away from the hustle and bustle of downtown Suncheon, we find old style houses and fields. It's the real Korea, where farming and harvesting and the way of life hasn't changed in decades, where Nina and I were flagged down by two young ladies who wanted a lift (my first time driving my scooter with someone riding behind!) just because we happened to be going past, where goats and chickens cross the road, where I saw one of my first Korean cows (not many of them here), where dog farms are out in the open, where a village of mudbrick houses twists up the side of a valley, following the terraced fields, and an abandoned school stands to prove that this way of life is on the decline for future generations.

Photos are: man carrying threshed stalks of rice on back in traditional style carrier, dogs in cages (note ostriches behind!), inside hallway of abandoned school, small village where ladies asked for a ride, bridge leading to more fields.

7 Comments:

  • Your descriptive narrative about your scooter trip was very well written. Annoyingly, I felt as if I were there. Please continue to write in this style about tall, good looking men.
    Thanks in advance!
    (ahem)
    well?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:06 PM  

  • There are no tall, good-looking men here....

    No, I lie. Yes, there are. But they are not worth writing about.

    xoxo

    V.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 1:01 AM  

  • I find it hilarious that you were flagged down by random ladies who wanted lifts. I think more boys should get bikes for this reason.

    I take mild offense to the "No tall, good looking men worth talking about here".

    I talk about pretty curly haired blonde on my blog all the time! What gives?

    By Blogger Brent, at 1:09 PM  

  • Ahhh, Brent. You are tall and good looking, and definitely worth talking about.

    I must have missed all your posts about pretty curly haired blondes...

    I think the anonymous poster meant for me to discuss tall good-looking men who I could possibly be involved with.

    xoxo

    Virginia

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 1:37 PM  

  • Nooooooooooo. The anonymous poster just wanted you to talk about tall good looking men. Any men. Anywhere. Yum! The anonymous poster is still waiting...(you'd better know who this is too!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:31 PM  

  • Hi Its MOM First - Brent is VERY tall & VERY good looking, I have photos to prove it, but he is VERY part of a couple. But then again - EVERYONE is taller then me.

    While Virginia was at school one day, actually teaching, I walked down from the stand of apartment buildings, past the gorgeous shops selling Prada, Givinchi & Paris Baguette, to her bus stop, where there along the wall started the small gardens & rice paddies. I followed the twisted paths into the valley to take photos of the ladies sqatting as they tended their gardens & to observe the rice being harvested. I felt that I stepped back hundreds of years. It was a lovely sunny day & one of the highlights of my trip. The stone walls were covered with vines - bearing squash of some sort because not a bit of land is wasted. We all should learn more about Korea & take note.

    Love MOM
    PS Their is nice tall Korean guy on the recent 'Survior" & I think he will end up in the top four.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:09 PM  

  • Hi Its MOM Oops I spelled there wrong

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home