Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Surreality, thy name is Korea - Part 2

Ms Parker in Korea!

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Surreality, thy name is Korea - Part 2


So, Melissa and I get to the University, where the big show will take place. We eat lunch, then wander around IN THE RAIN until giving up and sitting through the soundcheck of the performances.

Since I had to leave early, I'm kinda glad that we did, since we got to watch a few interesting things, like a hip hop dance routine, a booty-shaking dance, a fashion show and a beat-box sample (see video). That kid in the tie is amazing: Making all the sounds himself (the actual show went on for about 10 minutes - really cool).


The soundcheck did not prepare us for the surreality of the actual show. The MCs started by donning cat masks and doing a choreography (ooookkkkaaaayyyy), and they were followed by a very confusing musical play that went on for 30 mintues (too long!). Then, there were a bunch of ladies in hanbok (traditional Korean dresses) singing, then... the Miss Jeil competition.

So, a bunch of beautiful young women get on stage... but... wait... those aren't girls!

They had full-on wigs, boobs, make-up and everything. And, they also got (male) friends out of the audience to dance with them on stage! Can you imagine this happening in Canada?

There were so many different musical numbers: ballads sung by heart-broken guys in suits, traditional Korean drumming, a rock band, a break-dancing routine that knocked my socks off... too bad I had to leave before the end (even though I did stay for THREE HOURS, I didn't see everything!). All in all, it simply proved to me, once and for all, that Koreans excel at everything!

I just can't figure out - since they are in school from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm, when did they have the time to do all this?

They really look different when they aren't in uniform, eh?
Here are two of my Grade 2 students, all ready for the fashion show! And a line-up of my handsome boy students (fashion show).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home