Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: The Hug Campaign

Ms Parker in Korea!

Saturday, November 11, 2006

The Hug Campaign

As if Korea isn't surreal enough, we sometimes feel the need to inject extra surreality into the mix.
Carol got a bunch of us together to go to downtown Suncheon to hug people.

Yes.

It's an international campaign of sorts. You can find the video on Carol's blog that explains it all. Basically, you stand on a corner with a sign that says "Free Hugs" and give people hugs.

Now, Korea is not a "huggy" society. We met with a lot of confused stares, giggling, and swerving away. We also had people throwing themselves into our arms, doing full-on running hugs and some who came back a few times. I saw quite a few of my students too, and they thought it was rather cool.

It was a very strange, very cold and rather uplifting experience. I had started the afternoon asking if I could have a sign that said "You Suck!" (because of missing wallet crisis) and ended the afternoon quite happy and smiley.

Update to stolen wallet: Will get apartment lock changed next week, and get a new Alien Registration card too. I used my other bank card to empty my bank account and will cancel the card that was in my wallet when it walked away. As for the keychain and purse... well, there's really nothing I can do.

4 Comments:

  • C.P.'s got a job teaching English in Seoul. He starts in December. (some posh private school...He's gonna teach Kindergarten! What a SNAFU eh?)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 PM  

  • Hi its MOM Just came back from teh Rememberance Day Service at the cenotaph and to add to th somber mood, the skies opened up at 11AM - downpour.

    How nice to have CP in same country - someone you know to visit. Does that mean you will be visiting Korea too Meron? Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:31 AM  

  • Hiya Mrs. Virginia. I told my brother that IF he and his wife reproduce (ugh!) I'll visit Korea.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:08 PM  

  • Hey Ms Parker,
    We stayed at Tanjung Inn Cherating too, beautiful place, my kids love it. Of course Dad gotta pay for it.
    Do drop in tp view the pix - http://timoot.blogspot.com/
    Sorry to hear abt your purse.

    By Blogger timoot, at 6:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home