Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Wee Update

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, December 01, 2006

Wee Update

1. Bird Flu is in Korea. Bird Flu is in the province just north of me. Yesterday, I had an egg on my cafeteria tray and Melissa was all like "Don't eat that." So...List of things I don't eat here: beef, seafood, pork, and now, no chicken or eggs. Of course, kimchi supposedly cures the Bird Flu, but I don't eat kimchi. I'll call it the "Korean Bird Flu Weight Loss Plan".

2. It's cold here. While southern Ontario seems to be rocking 17 degrees, it's chilly chilly chilly here. It could be worse, I could have to beg to get the heat turned on in my classroom... oh, wait. Yeah. I do have to beg this grumpy administration guy to get the heat turned on in my classroom. The kids wander around in their winter jackets, with full on scarves and mitts and blankets and stuff. Of course, the windows are kept open in the school... apparently, shivering is "good for health". Sometimes, it is colder in the school than outside. I have a space heater next to my desk that pre-dates the Korean War, I am sure, so am a bit leery about leaving it on. I'm still stupid enough to ignore the weather and ride my scooter to school because, well, it's fun. Have discovered that laying my clothes on my apartment floor will heat them up (gotta love ondol - underfloor heating), and Jakob makes a neat furry bed-warmer.

3. Heading to Mokpo to kick it old skool with Maura for her birthday. May possibly take part in another "Free Hugs" thing too. Depends on how cold it is.

4. Jessica gave me a webcam and I recorded something on it and tried to e-mail it as an attachment and post it, but neither thing seems to have worked. Will have to figure it out and get back to you.

5. I'm still exploring options for next year. Do I stay in Suncheon, in the same craptastic apartment, but where I finally know how to get from Point A to Point B and where all my friends are? Do I stay at the same school where the kids know me and I have (finally) learned a few teachers' names? Or do I move to points unknown and see what's out there?


Finally, here's a little pic of one of my students who has a wicked crush on me - he literally runs down the hall calling "Baginia! Hi!", then holds my hand and tells me something in Konglish (Korean/English). Melissa calls him my boyfriend...

8 Comments:

  • I am always cautious about the food at school (reasonably so, I believe...) but if it makes you feel any better, fully cooked eggs or poultry won't spread bird flu. So unless you plan on hanging out with a bunch of birds or eating raw eggs (eew), you should be okay.

    By Blogger Jess, at 6:00 PM  

  • Hi its Mom Decisions, decisions!

    You'll land on your feet & make the best of it where ever you go. Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:47 PM  

  • I'm so excited! Git that I am, I just noticed how long your hair is getting! Auntie Wirhinia is getting her "Swinging Cat" hair back!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:38 AM  

  • Hey you
    Having an amazing night getting to know you!!! Wishing you'd move to Mokpo!!!

    xoxo

    Mary

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:51 AM  

  • At our school, we leave the windows open because the smell from the bathrooms is so overpowering. But what can you expect when the kids clean the school?

    So you have a choice; Smelly or Chilly.
    The cold is a lot less offensive!

    By Blogger Brent, at 12:39 PM  

  • Way cool jacket! no wonder you're such a popular teacher.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:06 PM  

  • En regardant la photo avec les quatre jeunes filles, je me suis demandé s'il n'y avait pas qu'un seul coiffeur à Suncheaon. N'y va pas, tu aurais alors des cheveux noirs, raides et une frange.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:29 PM  

  • Salut Mado!

    Les cheveux sont tres reglementes par la direction ici! De temps en temps, ils font une "descente" pis tous les garcons arrivent a l'ecole avec la crane rasee.

    Pour les enfants, par contre, c'est different. On voit des jeunes de 4 ans avec des perms et des meches!

    xoxo

    Virginia

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 7:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home