Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Songgwangsa in the Snow

Ms Parker in Korea!

Monday, January 08, 2007

Songgwangsa in the Snow






While Canada seems to be heating up, winter is alive and well in Suncheon. For my last weekend here before leaving for India, I dragged Jessica out to Songgwangsa (Temple). As it snowed all day on Saturday, we figured (correctly) that we'd be in for a treat: A Temple in the Snow.

Songgwangsa is further away than Seonamsa, but I've been to Seonamsa about a million times, including twice in the past month. I was excited to get to Songgwangsa again, as it is a more brightly painted temple, even though the bus ride out there is a bit daunting (more than an hour long and rather treacherous - our bus passed an 18-wheeler on a curve, wet roads etc). There is also a small museum with Buddhist relics that have survived Japanese invasions, the Korean war and the ravages of time. The highlight for me is always the Thousand Buddhas: a small side temple with a thousand (?) statues inside. Look closely, each (dusty) statue has a different face.

The whole day was great, even though I was so tired that I was having a hard time completing sentences. I've been super busy these past few weeks (both working and playing a bit hard), and I think it is catching up on me. To make matter worse, Shidae apartments saw fit to cut off my heat this weekend (late paying a bill), and I can't get my boiler to fire up again.

Luckily, I am not teaching this week, which will give me ample time to figure out how to mime "Who the hell cuts off someone's heat without warning in the middle of winter?" to Shidae Apartment Services, and finally pack for India.

Oh, and before I forget: I got my first "injury" at Tae Kwon Do. We were practicing kicks and the targets flew back and hit me in the face. Yes, I cried like a little girl, but I am much better now.

5 Comments:

  • Hi Its MOM OK, now I'm concerned. No black eyes I hope & you mean no heat? Like how cold is it in the apartment? Don't catch a cold before you leave for holidays. YOY !!!

    Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 AM  

  • you said "targets" as in many targets flew back and hit you in the face, kindo of house of the flying dagger style? hope you are not to maimed to enjoy the sights of India. Jakob will keep you warm in the apt.
    have a great trip
    Katrina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:42 AM  

  • I'm so glad we went! Even if I thought we would die on the bus on the way back.

    My boiler is horrible, and often I have to unplug the whole thing, count to 10, and plug it back in. There is a button that seems to turn it back on after that.

    xoxo

    By Blogger Jess, at 11:48 AM  

  • Update:

    Heat is on! (and that song is going through my head -- heat is on, it's on the streets...)

    Re: targets

    We use these padded target things in class to kick at. Thank got she didn't get me full on in the face with her foot. If not, it would have been more than just a mildly painful anecdote.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:01 PM  

  • You remember that ad for Motrin (pain killers) of the guy who signs up to be the "Target" in a women's self defense class?

    He puts on this protective suit, but it has a BIG target right on his groin. That's what I was thinking of when you said the target hit you... Maybe I need some sleep?

    That's Motrin pain!

    By Blogger Brent, at 9:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home