Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Happy Lunar New Year!

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Happy Lunar New Year!


Welcome to the Year of the Pig. Okay okay... not a pig, but a BOAR. And not even just a BOAR, but a GOLDEN BOAR. It's a good time to have children, apparently, as they will be "honest" and have lots of friends. No, this is not enough to incite me to reproduce.

To celebrate in Korea, you should, amongst other things, eat "dok", which is crappy bland phlegm-like gelatinous rice dumpling things. Instead of eating dok, however, we (Karen, Stu, Matt, Helen, Gemma and Jeannie) each made a different Indian dish and had a hugely wonderful Indian feast down at Matt and Helen's. It was one of those times when you overeat, but still go back for seconds and then... you sit around and nibble until there aren't even leftovers anymore.

We've got a bit of time off now - the new school term starts on March 2 or 5 or something like that.

I guess I do have some news. I've decided to say goodbye to Suncheon and move on to Mokpo. So, in April, Mr. Shane, Jakob and I will ride the Red Devil the 200 or so kilometres west to Mokpo. Now, this isn't because I don't like Suncheon or anything, but more in the interest of not getting into a rut. Also, there's a whackload of people leaving Suncheon in April anyway, so I just get to sneak off at the same time as them, and nobody will even notice that I am gone. Or, well, actually, they probably will. I am not known for my wallflower-ness, am I?

Other, less important, news: I survived the obligatory post-vacation depression upon my return from India; I wish I had a Korean boy-band to follow me around (soooo jealous); you know, I saw a real boar in India and I almost knocked the poor 120-year-old guide over as I attempted to jump into his arms; my bathroom door now closes completely (yay privacy!); all my clothes "shrank" when I was in India eating fried naan and muttar paneer; have discovered a new Montreal-esque cafe in Suncheon where I can hang out; are you still reading this teeny-weeny font?....

7 Comments:

  • Right... forgot to say that the Korean text says:

    "say hay boke-mahn he pah du say oh".

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 11:31 PM  

  • Happy New Year of the Fire Pig!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:16 AM  

  • Which translated means...Happy New Year! (even your phonetic pronunciation has a Canadian accent!)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 PM  

  • Hey Virginia!

    I wondered if you could help me with something. Well, actually, your network could maybe help me. And that's not even for me! :P It's for my niece, Anne-Marie, who's now 20 years old. She's looking to spend summer in an English-speaking environment. She wanted to find a family that could host and feed her for free, to find a job there and (maybe) earn some money. If it's work with the family, like taking care of the kids, it would be the best.

    Have you heard anyone saying they could host someone like that? Or could you pass the word to your mom, friends and family?

    Sorry if I'm writing here on your blog, but I still don't have your email address...

    Thanks a lot!
    Jiji
    xxx
    dupont.jj@gmail.com

    By Blogger Jiji, at 11:44 AM  

  • Hi! Your blog is amazing...Shane F. sent the link to me since I've been offered a teaching position in Korea. Your blog has already done tremendously in helping me, but I would love it, if you could, email me and tell me a bit about your experience--highs and lows, pros and cons, that sort of stuff. If you can't because you're busy (and it looks that way!), I understand--I'll just keep posted on your blog. Thank you! Jen W. ( jen_wilcock@yahoo.com )

    By Blogger Jen, at 7:07 AM  

  • Hello All - I've just modified my profile so that you can send me e-mail directly from my blog. This is to avoid people having their e-mail addresses out in public like this and all.

    In the right-hand sidebar, under "About Me", click on "view my complete profile". On that new page, you will see a link under "Contact" that says "E-mail".

    xoxo

    Virginia

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:57 AM  

  • "Actually, I think I'm becoming a bit nebulous for my friends in Canada too... Just, like, don't forget that I exist, okay?"

    No we haven't forgotten you. Some of use read your website everyday and miss the old days of swapping stories and having a few beers.

    On a brighter note I will be in Shanghai for two week (March -April 1) Want to visit Shanghai?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home