Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Badminton and Kimbap

Ms Parker in Korea!

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Badminton and Kimbap

After school today, I played badminton for almost two hours. Now, the last time I held a badminton racket was in Quebec, about 7 years ago, if not more. I went with two teachers who I am always hanging out with at school - they are my ping-pong/lunch partners - and seem to be determined to make me skinny.

*Interjection*
Okay, wait. You all know how I am wicked bad with names? Like, if I've met you once, and then meet you again, you should notice that I will never greet you by name. Ha. Now my secret is out. And now you are all going to start testing me, aren't you? I can think of one instance where I actually had a friend in high school that I called by the wrong name for, like, ever. And, I used to forget my boyfriend's name all the time. My students in La Pocatiere used to test me around November (like 3 months into the school year) to see if I could remember all their names. Yeah, but once I have it locked in my head, I will never ever ever forget it. And it's ridiculous. I can totally remember random things - I'm good with faces - favourite foods of random people - but names are my Achilles Heel. Soooooo.....
*Interjection Ends*

I can't remember these two teachers' names. And now it's gone past the point where I can politely ask them what their names are.

*sigh*

Okay, so after playing badminton with them until my right arm no longer worked and became little more than a vestigal limb, we went out for the BEST MEAL I HAVE EVER EATEN IN KOREA ever (mushroom shabu shabu - aka "diet food" - okay, okay, I get the point.). Like, ever. And they made sure that there was no meat in the meal, in the side dishes, in everything. Wow. And it was AMAZING. And this restaurant is literally 10 minutes walk from my house.

Somehow, I agreed to host these two ladies whose names (one of them is bringing her kids!) I don't know at my apartment on Sunday evening to make kimbap (one of my favourite Korean "fast foods"). It was like some sort of Korean Jedi mind trick. "We will come to your house on Sunday afternoon and make kimbap".

And I just smiled and nodded... and wondered what their names were.

4 Comments:

  • Reading this post I had that Skynyrd song going through my head...you know the one..."What's your name, little girl?" What are my middle names? You SHOULD know this. A GOOD friend would.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:19 PM  

  • cohen is asleep and i finally got to read up...sounds like your having a blast. can't wait for some photos.

    kel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:42 AM  

  • shabbu shabbu rocks - I bet the mushroom kind is pretty darn good, too.

    I totally had a great idea for finding out their names, but you don't have a cell phone. BUT maybe it can be adapted to having them write down their phone number and "oh, and just write your name so I don't get confused" (my ploy is to have them enter their phone number and name in Hangul - "oh, I don't know how to enter Hangul text, teehee" - into my cell).

    Or you can do the whole "I'm practicing transliteration from Korean to English letters - what is your name written in Hangul?" and have them "correct" your decoding.

    By Blogger Jess, at 12:21 PM  

  • You can still say, "Hey, Lina, come over here!" and then you get a gaping look from the person and then you say "oh, gosh, I was sure your name was Lina, what is it again?"

    By Blogger Jiji, at 6:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home