Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: I have my cat and hamster and I live next to a beach resort???

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, June 03, 2007

I have my cat and hamster and I live next to a beach resort???

On Friday, I headed back to Suncheon with Stu to pick up various boxes and animals, and to distribute various Canadian products to friends there. We started at Nina's (Good thing too, as she didn't come out that night! Shuuuuuuuuun.), then went for supper and ended up at TaeKwonDo. I didn't participate, but enjoyed watching everyone sparring. In my 2-month hiatus from TKD, they have all far surpassed me in technique and ability and most are preparing to do their black belt test in a few weeks (don't worry - I start TKD in Mokpo on Monday night). Then, I headed to Chris and Melissa's place and we went off to Julianna's.

It was great to see old friends and meet new people there, and it was great to be able to catch up with people like Cassie, who was on her way to the USA on Saturday morning. It's good to know that, for now, Suncheon is a place that I can head to and "start where we left off" with quite a few people. Of course, given the transient nature of Korean contracts, it won't always be the case.

The next day, bright and early, we loaded up the car with boxes and a hamster and headed to Gwangyang to Jessica's to get Jakob. We drove Jessica to the Gwangju airport (she was on her way to run a marathon in Jeju-do) and she filled us in on how traumatized she was after having Jakob in her care for over a month (He can be a bit high-maintenance and emotionally trying.... ).

We stopped in Gwangju so that Stu could take a nap. I picked up tons of animal supplies (haven't figured out where to get animal stuff here in Mokpo yet), including a big new pretty cage for Mr Shane, then rewarded myself for such selflessness by picking up a few things at Aveda and Benefit (!! Yes, there is a Benefit counter at Shinsegae now, and I can actually afford it....). And we headed back to Mokpo, stopping briefly in Naju to say hi to Cathy.

Once in Mokpo, Stu went back to Wando, and I started unpacking my purchases, boxes and animals. There was a knock at the door and it was Warren, a guy who came over with my original group back in April 2006, but who I hadn't really seen at all last year. We went out for supper then, having heard that there was a possible bonfire on the beach that evening, headed to the small "Shinan Beachy", located about a 10-minute walk from my house!!!

It was a beautiful evening - all the islands were lit up, and it was amazing to see a sort of resort-like hotel, restaurants and I guess what you could call a "boardwalk" crowded along a small, man-made and (given the Korean aversion to putting garbage in garbage cans) very littered beach. One of Warren's students was there with her family and friends and they invited us to sit down and drink some beer+soju shots.

By this time, I was absolutely exhausted, so any plans of going out later were nixed and I walked home (literally 10 minutes), admiring the lights, the boats, the harbour, and snuggled up with my kitty cat (who is currently afraid of the big standing mirror that fell on his head this morning).

My headaches have ceased, but now I am coughing and coughing and coughing. My voice kept coming and going all weekend (mostly gone rather than here), probably due to the fact that I won't just shut up and let it heal. Apparently Mokpo has a very bad air quality (the cause of the headaches?) and it's been suggested that I buy a facemask to wear when I'm out walking around! If I do, it will either be the one that has a cartoon nose and whiskers like a kitty cat or the one that says "Lovely Pig!" in bright pink script.

*still no pictures - sorry*

2 Comments:

  • There maybe was a little bit more than tales of being tortured by your cat.

    And I'm not the one who unfavorably compared him to the rodent ("why can't you be good like your brother?"). :P

    It was good to see you. I'm sad you are so far away.

    By Blogger Jess, at 6:17 PM  

  • Also, do you have any idea how wonderful cereal is? Thank you again!! I am exhibiting great self-control over myself re: pancake mix!!!!

    By Blogger Jess, at 2:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home