Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Life, what is it but a dream?

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, April 27, 2007

Life, what is it but a dream?

Now, in Canada, I find myself questioning whether or not I actually spent a year in Korea, met all those people and lived through all those wonderful experiences, walked those streets in distant lands and.... it's a strange, dreamy feeling.... oh, sorry... must be the JETLAG talking! Another few minutes and I would have been talking about my friend the green unicorn.

So... yeah, jetlag sucks, but let's get caught up, shall we?

I flew out of Korea on Wednesday morning, arriving at the airport just in time to ... run into Matt and Helen!!! We were, naturally, very excited to see each other one last time, and finished off our impromtpu rendezvous with a hearty "See you tomorrow!". It was great to see a friendly face, especially since the next 18 hours would prove to be slightly trying.

I took the "screaming baby express" flight to Tokyo, but only after passing through every single security measure known to man, except "cavity search". You know, toothpaste can be dangerous. Gee, better put it in a ziploc because we know that will save us....

From Tokyo, I had a ridiculously long 11.5 hour flight to Detroit aboard "crying child airlines"... there were a bunch of Korean babies being delivered to their new adoptive parents in the USA - and as cute as they were, they still managed to cry, scream, howl, etc for most of the flight. I got my revenge by snoring the entire way across the Pacific. In Detroit, I had some time to kill, so I ate a sandwich the size of my head (LOVE American portion sizes) after going through security AGAIN, this time having to remove my shoes, belt and all jewellery to pass through the checkpoint.

I was worried that I would have to give my biodata (fingerprints and photo) to US customs and spent most of the flight from Japan wondering how I could get out of doing so. It doesn't make sense that any government should force me to give them my fingerprints - especially when said government isn't even my own!

Right - so I got to Canada in one piece, toothpaste safely wrapped in a plastic bag by the airport authorities, and met up with my sister and her family. I'm staying at my Mom's place now (My Mom is in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean right now.... she's on a cruise), and the past few days have been a blur of family and friend visits, punctuated by lots of naps. I haven't been able to get a handle on my sleep schedule as yet - making it hard to plan very much.

I'm currently at Strega, taking advantage of Kelly's computer and internet connection, and wondering, honestly, where the past year has gone. The next few days will see more meetings with friends and family, more shopping and, hopefully, the establishment of some sort of routine.

2 Comments:

  • Hey! welcome back!...I apologize for anything US Customs did to you! I can't wait to see you,
    Katrina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:23 PM  

  • HI Virge,
    yipeeee, welcome back! I am so glad that you are back....I feel closer to you already...we are all anxiously awaiting the arrival of Virginia here in Montreal!!!!!See you soon...
    Ina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home