Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: A Day at the Beach

Ms Parker in Korea!

Monday, October 08, 2007

A Day at the Beach

Jongwon, Ty, me, Alex, Sara, Korean BoyBand member
(thanks to Stephany for photo)

Almost every weekend (that Ty visits Mokpo at least), we make glorious plans to explore the islands that are within a stone's throw of the coast.... of which there are literally hundreds. And, every weekend, the weather gods decide to wreck our plans. It's rainy, or cloudy or just plain un-beachy.

Ty and I

Jongwon and Alex

On Saturday, however, we awoke to bright blue cloudless skies (a real rarity in Korea). We rounded up Stephany, Sara (new folk in Mokpo), Alex and Jongwon, and headed out for a day at the beach. Our destination, Weydaldo (aka Oedal-do) is a small, mostly deserted (except for the tacky, and very small, waterpark) island about an hour's ferry ride from Mokpo. The houses are little more than cottages, with concrete paths that link one beachy side of the island to the other. Friendly dogs run about, asking to be pet, but there isn't much else there.

Walking off the pier

Our beach

The island that Alex and Ty swam to

Because it's the "off-season", there was almost nobody on the beach - except for a Swiss lady (who I chatted with in French all afternoon) and a group of 5 young Korean guys (sort of like a Korean boy band) who kept themselves within bikini-viewing distance for most of the day, but otherwise left us alone.

Jongwon

Walking back to the pier

Well - I mean - what can I say? We lolled about on the sand, gazed at the view of water, mini-islands and passing boats, dipped ourselves in the water to cool off from time to time (Ty and Alex swam out to one of the off-shore islands), ate a wee snack and just had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

That evening, most of the Mokpo-ites ended up at Garrett's place for Canadian Thanksgiving. Everyone brought amazing food (no turkey, though), and even a confirmed potluck-hater such as myself had a good time. It may not have been the same as being in Canada, but who can complain? You've got sunburned skin from a day at the beach, great food and you are surrounded by friends...

I have some other good news too. A few months ago, I sent a proposal to Cat Fancy magazine to write an article about the cat situation in Korea, why they are so feared, how (appallingly) they are treated and what is being done (at a very grassroots level) to make things better. I now have a contract to write this article (due in November -- eek - to be published next March). I am now, officially, a "free-lance writer"... or I will be, once they publish the article.

Annnnnnnnnnd... next weekend, for my 33rd and Ty's 27th, we are going to Jeju-do (after negotiating time off from both of our schools) to go scuba diving. He's a rather experienced diver, whereas I have stuck mostly to the snorkelling side of things (except for two real-live scuba dives in Santiago de Cuba about 4 years ago).... if things go well, and if my head doesn't explode from ear pressure, I will then do my PADI Open Water in Bali during my winter vacation (in January -- it was a *very* hard decision to decide not to go to the Middle East - I've been doing nothing but think, read and talk about Turkey, Syria and Jordan. But, that day will come, I am sure).

Pics of Weydaldo and of Taiwan are on Flickr- click the link in the right-hand sidebar to see.

7 Comments:

  • Congrats on the article... exciting...can't wait to read it once you have written it :)

    Suba diving is so much fun :) You'll have a blast... excited for you... if you have a chance to get a video, so worth it...hehe...

    Happy Thanksgiving chicky :)

    Love April xox

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 AM  

  • Please thank me...

    The weather gods were shining on you because I was working...

    Note the pissing down rain the next day because I had planned a hike up Wolchulsan... and then the sunshine today cause I am working again.

    I swear I'm gonna start hiring myself to the farmers.

    (Oh, and there was turkey at the feast... you just had to get in early!)

    By Blogger Goulash, at 10:32 AM  

  • You're right...you DO have an enormous chin. Does Ty have bad teeth? I've never seen them in any pictures...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:50 PM  

  • Hi Its MOM So glad about the article & that you will be read & hopefully the cat problem addressed.

    You wouldn't want to go to Turkey in the winter, its cool there & they do get snow, save it for a Spring vacation - Bali is the right choice.

    Happy Thanksgiving, we sure have a lot to be thankful for haven't we. Travelling the globe certainly makes us aware of it.

    Love you MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:26 PM  

  • Hey! Bali sounds amazing to...anyway your just holding out for turkey until I can go with you, right ;)
    That is so great for the Cat Fancy! you are such an amazing writer. I will be buying that issue let us know when its out.
    hugs
    katrina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:29 AM  

  • 1) I feel being FORCED to go scuba diving in the south pacific is cruel and unusual and I'm going to submit an article to that effect to some magazine somewhere

    2) 33 is OLD! you will catch up to Ann and I in 6 years and then we will be triplets - oh, and our mother was 12 when she had us if anyone asks

    3) i can't remember what point number 3 was going to be. that's cuz I'm so f*#%ing old myself

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:43 AM  

  • hahahahahahahahaha

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home