Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: An interesting discussion

Ms Parker in Korea!

Thursday, June 12, 2008

An interesting discussion

Last night, a group of us gathered together in a cafe for our traditional Wednesday night French Night. We generally start out in French, and peter off until we're all just speaking English anyway.

Last night, there were about 10 of us, from many different countries, with different Korean teaching experiences (high school, middle school, university, hogwan). Some people had been here for 2 years, some for only a few months or weeks - but somehow we were all unified -- by our disbelief that the supposed non-issue of Mad Cow in American beef (of which there was one case 5 years ago, and no reported cases at all in Korea, so why are they even protesting?) had led to violent clashes involving police, people setting themselves on fire (!!), and may end up costing a few government officials their jobs. Some of us are feeling the xenophobia more than others, some even using this as a reason to leave sooner rather than later. As for me, this is an example of Korean groupthink at its worst, where a non-factual newspaper article snowballed into a nationalistic uprising.... Have you heard the latest.... that the US government is selling poisoned beef in Korean school cafeterias? The worst part is that there are people here who seriously believe it - or seem to anyway, since they can't argue against it without appearing un-patriotic and un-Korean.

When do you cease to tolerate the differences around you? How do you aim your moral compass?

In Canada, and in many other countries, we strive (we may not always succeed, but we try anyway) to make an inclusive society. We accept others' differences and do our best not
to offend - to the point of changing certain aspects of our own culture (Like using "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas". Dude, I celebrate Christmas, and if I can wish my Jewish friends a Happy Chanukah, I'm sure they are not morally outraged when I dare wish my family a Merry Christmas on December 25). We are also quite outspoken about cases of racism or culture clash.... generally arguing *for* the other culture's rights to simply BE a part of Canada.

Where am I going with this?

One of my best friends here, let's call him X, arrived in Korea two years ago. Over the years, I've watched him become an exceptional and caring teacher. He knows his students' names, his lesson plans are dynamic and interesting. He has worked really hard to learn Korean, sometimes chastising for my lack of Korean vocabulary. He is dating a Korean. He dresses in wicked cool Korean style (except for that neon pink and yellow "Best Friend Good!" shirt he wore last night). He's not (as a few of us are wont to do) cheated his school on vacation time, or made un-necessary demands on them.

Last week, X found out that even though his school thinks he is an excellent and diligent teacher, they do not want him to return next year. Why? Because he is "not open to Korean culture". And what is this all about? X has protested - for the wellbeing of his students, mind you - against excessive use of corporal punishment in his school. He finds it hypocritical that students are punished for arriving late or sleeping in class by teachers who are even less punctual than the kids. He finds it confusing that teachers may smoke *inside* the school while punishing students for smoking *outside* the school. He wonders if classtime might not be better spent on lesson plans and actual learning than 13 full minutes of beatings with a metal golf club handle.

When he raises these points, he is told that he "doesn't understand Korean culture".

And this makes me angry. Every time we find something repugnant, the excuse given by Koreans for why we (foreigners) don't like (or will never understand) explicit racism, beating dogs, excessive corporal punishment, eating live octopus, or mass sexism is always "It's Korean culture". Why don't they ever tell us that some of the awesome things here are "Korean culture"??

(To clarify, I am NOT dissing Korean culture at all... I am pointing out that saying "It's Korean culture" is used to excuse certain behaviours that are, excuse me, rather awful no matter what country you live in, or where you are from. )

I think what I have on my mind these days is definitely when I will leave here. I do love my school, my students, my teachers. I love where I live, and the people in my neighbourhood. There's an old man who says Hi to us every time we pass him. There are old ladies who wave at me because they know I teach their grandchildren. The two closest convenience store owners know exactly what we want as soon as we go in. And yet, it seems that these days, I just can't wait to leave.

Another year... just another year, and then I'll leave here and (probably) never ever come back.

11 Comments:

  • i'ma start by say that i completely agree. the use of "korean culture" as an excuse for certain behaviours is a cop-out fo-shiz. I ask HB about the beef thing as he was going to a candle vigil the other day and asked me to join. i told him i didn't want to because i didn't really understand what all the fuss was about.

    i guess what it boils down to is that the people are angry at the government for not listening to them about anything. it just so happens that the straw that broke the camel's back is american beef import. while there certainly has been too much one-sided news coverage, i can understand the anger about not being heard by the gov't.

    some people ask, "why don't they just NOT buy the beef?" and that's where the school kids come in. While korean peeps can choose whether or not to buy it, they worry about places like school cafeterias and the army, where you never know where your beef is coming from (prolly america, cuz it's way cheaper).

    hang in there, lady! (she's says as she's counting the days til departure:P)

    By Blogger Vanessa, at 3:13 PM  

  • I'm confused. Are you just venting with this post, or are you planning to leave Korea? I thought that you wanted to move to Busan next year? If you leave...where are you going? Are you going to go all biblical on Ty and do the old "Wither thou goest, so will I" (Book of Ruth)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:17 PM  

  • I too am disappointed and kinda sad with how easily and vehemently the people around me believe in all this Mad Bull S**t. I mean . . . they lied, the news programs lied, the politicians lied, the "liberal" media outlets lied, they all lied, and yet that has done nothing to stop this. Several of my colleagues are quite active in the union, which has been getting teachers, parents, and students fired up, and has been spreading plenty of misinformation itself. I got in some trouble a little while back after I wrote an article in which I criticized the union and its role in encouraging students to participate in the rallies. Nowadays, though, I just try my best to avoid the topic altogether . . . there are no such things as discussions on this point, they always turn into defenses.

    I hate hate hate the "you just need to understand Korean culture" line. Hate hate hate it. I've had it thrown at me in regards to this beef thing and even in regards to the Coreana Nazi ads I wrote about. I think that, in the long run, gets me as worked up as anything . . . that I can have well-reasoned, well-informed opinions disregarded so easily by a single line. *sigh* I think I should just stick to writing about Nene Chicken. Because it's awesome.

    By Blogger Brian, at 11:05 PM  

  • Oh, man. That would be rough.

    By Blogger Helena, at 1:26 AM  

  • I thought of something else relating to the group-think thing. When I was first there (92-93) a couple of times I bought a grapefruit, and had several people tell me that grapefruits cause cancer. (Why, I don't know. Maybe it was a pesticide thing years ago.) Later (96-97) my husband and I saw stuff with grapefruit labeled as "Sweetie." That's one way to solve the problem--repackaging!

    And then there's that fan death thing.

    By Blogger Helena, at 5:41 AM  

  • Sweetie or oroblanco is actually a hybrid of two fruits. The pummelo and a white grapefruit.

    I miss that juice so much. They still sell it in Japan.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:16 AM  

  • Hi Its MOM What can I say - you are an EXPAT. When going to Saudi or Belize we were reminded that we were GUESTS of the country & not to get involved with politics. As a visitor in a country you at least have the choice to leave & you have something to come back to. MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:55 PM  

  • And that last year will go by sooooo slowly.... I wish it had gone by as fast as the first one!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:07 PM  

  • I agree totally agree with your words... it's always frustrating trying to get through to that insular mindset, probably impossible.

    To get through the time here, it's about perception... choose to place attention on something positive. That's what i'm gonna do till May 2009 :)

    Nice blog...

    By Blogger Glenn, at 3:28 PM  

  • Wow V,
    Didn't realize things were that crazy over there right now. Makes me appreciate being on this side of the continent... and here my stressors involved getting caught up with marking and prepping for exams. Well, I feel for you girl. Keep your chin up - there's always tomorrow :) It takes time for change, and Korea still has a long way to go.

    April

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:51 PM  

  • “As for me, this is an example of Korean groupthink at its worst, where a non-factual newspaper article snowballed into a nationalistic uprising....”
    Well, at least their groupthink based on false information did not cause over 4,000 of their soldiers dead and more than 30,000 wounded. Not to mention over 90,000 civilian deaths.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home