Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Off to Seoul.... and a bit of food for the Soul.

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, June 27, 2008

Off to Seoul.... and a bit of food for the Soul.

We're off to Seoul to get Madeleine this afternoon! We'll come back on Sunday, and I'll be uploading tons of photos...

I rarely post links on my blog that don't have anything to do with my life in Korea, but I really feel the need to get this out there. I hope you take the time to follow this link and look at the whole presentation. The use of women in advertising has always been something interesting for me, ever since a school project in Grade 11 (I went on to do a school project on the "No means no" law, then took a few women's lit and women's studies courses in university, and was quite happy to integrate ad images and women's rights into classes when I was at an all-girls' high school), and even as I have been just as guilty as everyone else of buying into the hype (I don't want to be thinner, I just think I'd like to be a foot or so taller, okay?).

One great thing about being in Korea is being (almost) immune to the advertising. My physical self is so different from that of a Korean woman, and the fashions are so ridiculous (puffy shorts with stilettos in the middle of winter, anybody?) that I am quite enjoying living outside of the realm of advertisers who are trying to get these women to hate their skin colour (LOTS of skin bleaching happening here) or the natural shape of their eyes (a ridiculous percentage of women here have had eyelid surgery to get folding Western-style eyelids).

Not understanding the language also lessens the impact.... so what happens when a kind soul subtitles the newest Korean pop sensation? As you watch this, and before you start perving over "hot young Asian girls", keep in mind that two of these girls are 15 (the others are 17/18 - or 19 by Korean age).

Click here to go to youtube.com for the video.

In their first video, the Wonder Girls did a take off on Wonder Woman (I had a Wonder Woman towel when I was 4, maybe that's when the feminism started....), fighting their way through a video where they took on bad drivers, perverted old men and jerk-store high school boys. Here's that video.



Hmm, hope all that is enough to keep you amused for the weekend!

See you Monday.

3 Comments:

  • Don't listen to her folks, Korean fashion is the height of the world! Star-print sweat-shorts with a bumble-bee colour striped polo shirt, anyone? The entire outfit less than 20$ :D
    (If Virginia had written this, she would be being sarcastic...I, on the other hand, am not. I totally think that rocks!)

    Also, it should be noted that the Wondergirls, though under 18, are still well above the legal age of consent (13, in Korea). :)
    "I'm so, so, so hot-hot!" *dances along*

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:21 PM  

  • Wow! That hot young Asian girl who does the rap is.... umm... well... HOT!

    :P

    By Blogger Goulash, at 1:13 PM  

  • Alex, the age of consent being 13 in South Korea is a common misconception, usually based on the following link:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ages_of_consent_in_Asia#South_Korea

    Actually it is 18, or 19 as they say here.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home