Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: It's been a month!

Ms Parker in Korea!

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

It's been a month!



Look it's me! In Korea! Someone told me that they couldn't remember what I looked like...

It is very hard to believe it but.... I've been in Korea for a month now!

What do I LOVE so far? (in no particular order....)

- Service-uh: Service-uh is stuff you get for free just because you are a foreigner. For example, a purse and chocolate from the Body Shop, an extra who-knows-what when you buy food, an extra espresso shot in my capp....
- The weather: Except for the acid rain, the weather has been really good. I know I have a tan on my face... I may need to get one of those full-face masks that all the old ladies wear.
- Star status: Sort of related to service-uh... it's the kids saying "hi" to you on the street, the students telling you that you are beautiful (okay, I admit that I give them candy when they say that....), the compliments on how small your head is (ummm, didn't realize I had a small head...), just awesome.
- The students: When they aren't falling asleep on their desks or throwing paper airplanes, they are very eager and excited. Like I said, I get to do the fun stuff... and they respond like Pavlov's dogs to the rattle of a candy bag (I admit, I am bribing the hell out of them).
- The cost of living: Hey, my double espresso-ed coffee just cost me about $2. A night out can be as little as $20, including the cab ride.
- I just got paid today: Ever seen a 7-figure bank balance? Okay, fine... exchange, I know.
- The Shidae people: I'm just loving the folks that live here (Matt and Helen, Karen, April, Dave, Carol, Steve... thanks for making the transition easier) and away (Nicola, Brent and Stephanie)
- The view from my apt: Green mountains in the day, mist in the morning rising up the hillsides, rice paddies to the left, totally flash neon signs at night.
- The Internet: I don't feel so far from my friends back home because I know that you are just an e-mail, a Skype call or a plane ride away. And, I discovered today that I can watch The National online on my computer at work. Yay, Canadian news for me!
- The food: I've lost weight here, and as long as I stay away from the largee pisa and maekju (beer), it might just stay that way... Oh, and keep going to the ultra-posh 5-storey gym next door.
- Body Shop next door: Yay.

What might still take some getting used to? (once again, no particular order)

- Friends: I'm just building friendships now, but it would be nice to hang out with someone who hasn't only known me for a month!
- The food: "Um, what is this?" "Blah blah blah" (in Korean). "Ah, thank you. So.... what is this?"
- Stares: Like, I'm talking the "up and down and up and down" look when you are in an elevator with 3 men.
- The dog farm: Oh. My. God.
- The language barrier: I'm VERY fluent in broken English ("Me lunchee now"). I really need to learn Korean. Or at least practice my Hangul (written Korean) so that I can read things. I now know what it's like, and what coping strategies one needs, when one is illiterate. Imagine for one second that you are grocery shopping and you can't even recognize what is in the package, even though it might be delicious, because you can't read the label and don't recognize the logos.
- Dependence: Utter dependence on everyone around you.
- My shower: Me crouchee shower. But, hot water nice-uh (and hair seems curlier....).
- Shoes: Soooo many pretttttty shooooooeeeessss. Foot too largee.
- Toilets: Hey, no t.p. Hey, no soap.
- Missing weird things: Just paid $3 for an avocado. I will worship it until it is soft, then make myself a Strega sandwich with bamboo raisin bread.
- Cost of living: Ohhhhh, but some things will break the bank. Like sheets... cheese...
- Body Shop next door: Yeah, and at 3 times the price.....

All in all, though, I don't suppose that I can really complain. The cultural differences will take some getting used to, but that is all a part of this experience.

Cheers to you all.... miss you muchly.

11 Comments:

  • " the compliments on how small your head is "

    I was going to visit you in Korea but now I am a little scared my giant head won't be allowed in the Country.

    Do Koreans really associate beauty and small heads?

    How do they feel about women with small heads and big feet?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:19 PM  

  • wow! has it really been a month! Glad to hear you are immersed in a cultural experience. when you consider the possible treatment some foreigners get in some foreign lands - like thrown stones and kidnapping and other unpleasantness - you must admit the stares and rock-star status aren't all that bad!

    meaghan left today for quebec on a school trip and we're all driving to sandusky ohio (5 hrs) for the long weekend to ride the rides at cedar point. check out http://www.cedarpoint.com/
    they have 16 rollercoasters, including 3 of the top ten in the world. I'll give you a complete rundown including photos and vomit report when we get back on sunday

    alan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:42 AM  

  • Hi Its MOM is that a TV behind you in the photo? If so, how many channels do you get? And is your balcony large enough to sit on, it looks kinda shallow. Do you hang your clothes out there to dry? Is the water OK to drink? Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:17 AM  

  • Hi Mom, Yes, I have a big huge TV, but no cable, so I just use it to a) hang my clothes on and b) watch DVDs. I don't want to spend my time watching Miami Vice in Korean. Might get cable in the winter when it's too cold to do anything else.... there is a "reality show" network that shows reruns of past reality shows - I might just be able to catch up on 7 years of Amazing Race. Thanks for the update.... Balcony is also laundry room - that's where I put my clothes to dry. No sitting area really. Like the Koreans, I drink bottled water only.

    I agree, Al, that being a rockstar is better than being kidnapped!

    My students think I look like Meg Ryan.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 12:22 PM  

  • i can't believe it's been a month!

    so, explain 2 things...the acid rain and the dog farm. do i really want to know?

    you look skinny. bitch.

    miss you, kel:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:07 PM  

  • Woohoo!

    Acid rain: The Koreans are all afraid of the rain.... apparently it is quite polluted. But it can't be worse than Lake Ontario, I am sure.

    Dog farm: Perhaps I will get some photos (not too graphic) and make the dog farm a separate post.

    Thanks! And getting skinnier....

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 1:54 PM  

  • I love your blog. This is so much fun...especially since none of us really "teach" here...with only 20 hours of teaching time...heehee...
    It's great reading what you notice when you first move here. After two years, the novelty of some things wears off... Thanks for reminding me that I'm still a Rock Star (sorry Steve for stealing your nick name). This place has it's perks...It'll be hard readjusting to "normal" life back home... I'll be living life in Korea through your blogs when I'm back in Hali. :)
    Compared to China and Japan... Koreans are super friendly...and you won't find the Service-uh frame of mind anywhere else that I've been to :)I'll miss that. Well I hope you continue to find more things to smile at here.
    Later chicky,
    April :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:41 PM  

  • Is your tiny head making your feet look bigger than they actually are? Maybe Koreans really have big feet but REALLY big heads?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:09 AM  

  • MS PARKER!! hi it's jack!! st.catharines. i'll see you in two months. i'm travelling down with two others. i think we have five days of free time before we start work?? talk to ya soon.

    jack

    By Blogger jack, at 11:38 AM  

  • Considering that, in University, my roommates measured my head and found it to be one centimetre larger than theirs, I can't imagine that my head is small.

    It is wonderful to be TALL though.

    Jack: I hope you have a chance to travel around and see the "real" Korea.... it's a beautiful place.

    Keep in touch!

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 12:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home