Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: First week of school

Ms Parker in Korea!

Thursday, May 11, 2006

First week of school


So, besides the fact that I have taught the same "Introduction class" FOURTEEN times already (and 3 more to go on Friday), it is still fun.

The way I see it, I get to do all the "fun" teaching... but none of that nasty correcting, parents meetings etc. My students are not all super obediant kids - get that idea out of your heads! They are normal teenagers - the big difference being that they are quite polite. The bowing is just great, as is being given things with two hands (major show of respect). It is still hard to determine just what they understand and what they are capable of. Some kids are quite boisterous and enthused, while others are going to take some waking up (literally, with the typical Korean school kid going from 7 am to 10 pm, then studying, they often will sleep on their desks out of sheer exhaustion).

I've been able to get their attention, and have had a very positive response (except from that one evil demon paper airplane group), which is great.

On the social side, Nicola, JP and Nicola's sister (maybe) will be coming to stay in my teeny apt this weekend. Should be interesting. There is an Open Mic night on Saturday and I've signed up (under the influence of red wine) to recite "Stopping by woods on a snowy evening" by Robert Frost. It will be the only poem, and I hope it goes well. Hopefully, we will all be able to hike Jogye Mountain to see the two temples that are there. Can't wait! Other activities will possibly include shopping, eating (see, I haven't changed!) and going to a sauna.

More funny things:

- Every time I go to the bakery, I am surprised. I wanted whole wheat bread, and ended up coming home with bamboo and raisin (!). I tried again, and this time I got walnut bread with coconut cream inside!
- A busload of little kids was hanging out the window screaming "Hello" at me yesterday.
- I am a millionnaire! Well, it's Won, but it still feels good to have a bank balance in the 7 figures.

Miss you all - keep sending me your day-to-day news....

1 Comments:

  • Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home