Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Corporal punishment....

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, May 12, 2006

Corporal punishment....

So, one thing that Korean schools have a reputation of is the use of corporal punishment. Think bamboo sticks, a broom handle, whatever. I have seen the odd slap, ear-pull, etc. and didn't think it was too bad. I can tell you that the kids definitely pay attention. On the other hand, the fact that school in Korea is not totally "hands off" like it is in Canada means that you can also do nice things, like a pat on the back, and not be worried that the kid is going to call the police. In Canada, you wouldn't dare touch a student in any context. It is going to take some getting used to -- not that I am planning on hitting anyone.... no, that's the Korean teachers' job.

Today, as my class was starting, one of the Korean teachers (I usually have a Korean teacher in my class) caught 4 kids coming in late. She tapped her stick on a nearby table and, one-by-one, the kids put their hands on the table and each got a spanking in turn. Three hard whacks each on the butt and they joined the class.

Did it look like it hurt? Yes.
Did it look excessive? No.
Was I comfortable? Not sure.
Do I think those kids will be late for class again? Most probably, but not for a while.

I think I am still trying to figure out how I feel about it.

How many times in Canada would I have happily smacked/strangled/kicked some snotty teen who was giving me attitude????

But... to see it done for real?

Wow.

7 Comments:

  • Would the regimented, excessively long school hours and sedentary nature of an overloaded class room be possible if corporal punishment was banned???

    probably not:)

    And who's idea was it anyway to put hormonal teenagers in one room and expect them to behave??

    It's not the kids; its society's failure to provide an education system that supports and nurtures individuality and teaches LIFE skills.

    And its not Korea it's everywhere..some use a sword (or stick) some use a bitter word...some just ignore what it is to be young and ALIVE!!!!!

    Here endth the sermon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:45 PM  

  • as one who was most frquently on the receiving end of corporal punishment, I can attest that it works, but then again I don't hit my 4 kids and they all seem to be well behaved...

    alan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 PM  

  • Its Mom I've been witness to both, and on recieving and giving end. Now I will have to think about it all day because there is no easy answer. Hmmmm

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:08 PM  

  • at www.mydaughtry.com you can listen to it, but it's not available for download.

    i'm not sure, but it could be on one of the American Idol cds that may be released soon. so just check for that

    By Blogger Suzy, at 11:10 PM  

  • I went to school In Tunisia for about six years so I experienced corporal punishment first hand and I would have to say that what really matters is the manner in which it's done for example I
    knew that if I was late or didn't do my homework I was going get some hits
    and I still think that's okay cuz you can go for years without getting a single tap however what I find traumatizing is when it became automatic no questions asked get over here and get your ass whooped for running after another student in the school yard


    Ben Mehdi

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:31 AM  

  • 1. BEN! Hey - what up? DAN? It's about time! *hugs*

    2. Love sparking debate.... Al, I'm glad that you never hit your kids. I'm still amazed at all 4 of them. Ben, I hear you -- I think that's the same here. It's like. Oh, okay, if I am late, I will get a smack. Now, I weigh off if it's worth it. It seemed (in class yesterday) like the kids accepted the punishment then it was like "Ah, it's over with. Let's get on with something else". The girls had tears in their eyes, but were fine a few minutes later. And that's the same with getting a spanking from your parents. You get over it, as long as it isn't all the time or excessive. Then again, Korea has a huge rate of domestic violence. But then again, the students DO show respect (or seem to) more than in Canada. SHOW respect is the key word here.... I have had kids respect me without hitting them in Canada. It was harder though - I had to earn it.

    3. Found Daughtry song on Limewire (can't believe he isn't in top three.... American Idol). Most brilliant version of "I walk the line" ever!

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 9:47 AM  

  • Nice idea with this site its better than most of the rubbish I come across.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home