Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Halloween in Suncheon

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, October 29, 2006

Halloween in Suncheon



Well, it's been quite a weekend.

It all started on Friday afternoon, when Stu arrived from Naju. We went for a jaunt on the scooter before returning home to carve some pumpkins and await the arrival of Nicola, Chad, Maura and Jessica. We cobbled some costumes together and headed out to Julianna's, then Elvis.

The next day, everyone did their own thing, with Nicola and Chad taking my scooter out for a spin, Maura out visiting friends, and Stu, Jessica and I heading to the motorcycle shop to visit Jessica's new motorbike. I'm pretty happy because I got a free helmet (probably the nicest helmet I've ever had) so that now my mascara won't run when I am riding to school.

I made three different curries for supper, and served about 10 people, which is no mean feat in an apartment of my size. I can liken my kitchen to the galley of a small boat - no counter space, one drawer, and a 2-burner hotplate. Matt, Helen and Nina joined us and helped us get into our costumes (I was "Bend it like Beckham" and it took a few attempts to get my sari wrapped correctly. Once Lana, Bryce and James arrived, we headed out to the world-famous Sixth Annual Yeosu Halloween Party.

It's amazing to see what the ex-pats can do for Halloween (and quite trippy to walk around in costume and be stared at and photographed by some mildly terrified Koreans). It's not like we can just run to Value Village or the local costume shop to get our disguises. And, unless you want to dress like a pretty princess, there is a dearth of pre-made disguises available here. Somehow, though, the creativity comes through and all of the costumes were really amazing.

Here's a breakdown of various disguises...

Friday night:

Matt and Helen: Very disturbing sort of psycho killer and his leashed slave/evil fairy
Karen: Woodland fairy
Me: Cowgirl
Nicola: Daphne from Scooby Doo
Jessica: Bad-ass popular girl in pink
Chad: Emo boy (even carried around a pad of paper and wrote bad poetry throughout the night)
Nina: God's gift to men
Cassandra and Haydar: Miss America and Saddam Hussein
Dave: Hulk Hogan
and others.... Julianna's was full of tons of people.


Saturday night:

Nicola: Fan death (2nd place in Best Costume Contest)
Chad: Holy Sh*t!
Me: Bend it like Beckham
Stu: Highlander Scot
Lana and Bryce: Two-faced George Bush and Blood Money
Maura: Mermaid (was actually part of a mermaid tribe)
Jessica: Sexy cowgirl
James: Prince Harry (of course)
... and about another hundred costumes, including an Oompa-Loompah, Smurfette and a carton of milk

*pics are of Friday night... Saturday night will be coming soon, I hope.

6 Comments:

  • Hi its MOM Well you answered my email questions about how you prepared a meal for 10 in an area smaller then my closet. Gads, I had trouble making a cup of tea & toast in that kitchen. But its fun insn't it? You don't have to have all the lxurious space that we have here in Canada to enjoy your friends. Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

  • Hey its Maura that was the best Halloween ever. I love scaring Koreans and trying to pick up 32 year old Korean guys. It obviously didn't work but he gave me a hug at the end of night!
    You were awesome as Ben it Like Beckham! I'll email you some pictures. You're a great cook!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:20 PM  

  • You'd better get the pics of you in costume from this weekend available soon. I want to point and laugh. (Then I'll call and laugh in your ear.)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:48 AM  

  • You can find pics on Stu's blog and Flickr page, on Cassandra's livejournal and I'll upload a few more too.

    xoxo

    Virginia

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 7:20 PM  

  • Thanks again for opening you home and closet for the weekend. I had an amazing time, and appreciate everything from the amazing brunch, to meeting handsome Korean mechanics who introduced me to my new bike, to chicken so good I almost started to lick the bowl.

    Also, I'm still impressed at the bounce-back of that sari!

    By Blogger Jess, at 11:33 PM  

  • Looks awesome!
    Sorry we couldn't make it, but I'm carving pumpkins in class today... Elementary school kids and knives! I'll take pictures!

    By Blogger Brent, at 1:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home