Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Island School

Ms Parker in Korea!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Island School

Today, my school sent me to an "Island School" to spend about an hour with three (3) students! This is a big improvement on the last place they loaned me out to - where I had to play "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" then mime sports with forty-three (43) kindergarteners in one room while the principal, vice principal and various teachers sat in a row at the back and watched me make an ass of myself in the name of English education.

In the morning, I took the ferry to Gohado (where I'd been once before with Jen, Jens and Randi) with Mr Shin, the head teacher. The kids were wicked awesome - 2 girls and a boy - and it was really fun. I started reflecting on how my situation here is one that I've always wanted to be in: I really feel like I'm actually teaching something, to kids who want to learn. It might take me a few days to really formulate all that I want to communicate, so look for a deeper, more philosophical, blog in a few days. Anyway, this island is much bigger than I thought it was, and there is a big hill to hike on (something for me to look for on subsequent visits). My bad ferry karma continued to this trip too, with Mr Shin and I standing on the pier for about 45 minutes, waiting for the ferry back home. He decided to use the time to teach me how to (really) break someone's hand using a mix of Hapkido and TaeKwonDo), which is a cool thing to practice on your boss.

And here are two completely random pictures from the weekend - one of me joyfully pounding something or someone with a piece of bamboo (I'm supposed to look like I am doing Geum-do - Korean sword fighting) and another of me on my soon-to-be new motorbike. In the background, you'll note a group of my friends and the ferries to the islands.

5 Comments:

  • And where are you this evening? You aren't at home...avoiding me? Sniff!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:16 PM  

  • this is hotttt!!

    By Blogger Kimberly, at 2:29 AM  

  • What a totally amazing picture of you on the bike!!!! I can't believe how much you have changed, definitely not the same Virginia who was afraid of driving!!! Its so exciting!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:13 AM  

  • wooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! look at you!!!!!!!!! you must get one of those leather & chain trimmed hats or chaps...so what happens to red devil - or did you already get rid of her?

    kelly

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:35 PM  

  • Umm, I took those pics,thanks for the credit,and you needed a little direction for the kumdo shot..no V..raise your arms...you were beating me up technically(and wanted to in your subconscious)..but great shots of you all in all...very pleased with them...especially the shots of Dave..hubba hubba.....

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home