Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Another Suncheon Weekend....

Ms Parker in Korea!

Monday, August 20, 2007

Another Suncheon Weekend....

Dear Mom,

I got your e-mail today and I felt a bit guilty. I haven't written much lately - not because I don't have computer access, but because camp is keeping me very busy. Also, I don't think that it's interesting enough to talk about. And, yeah, okay... felt a wee bit guilty. It sounds like you are going to have a few wicked awesome trips coming up - the cruise sounds awesome. Oh, and yeah - my camp money is pretty much paying for Taiwan (flight, accommodation AND ridiculous amounts of shopping, I hope).

So, I am back at camp after a lovely weekend in Suncheon (photos to come). I arrived on Friday afternoon and immediately made myself comfortable in Nina's apartment (Nina is in Canada and is totally my best friend now because her bathroom products outshine even mine....). I met up with Melissa and Chris at Outback (or, as you call it, "The Outhouse Cafe") for supper. They've only just returned from Canada and Chris was a bit jetlagged. Anyway, we headed out to a soju-room after and had delicous soju cocktails until we were ready to head to Julianna's. On our way, we met up with Haydar and Cassandra (did I tell you that they are getting married?), and were soon joined by Kentucky Dave (who is really from Nebraska), Michelle, Tyrone and some other old and new friends.

On Saturday, Jessica (who had just returned from the USA), Melissa and I decided to go shopping. It was so funny - we wandered around the downtown area and I saw a bunch of my old students - they were so excited to see Melissa and I together, of course - and just so cute. Anyway, I bought a funny pair of sandals and a purse from a really creepy guy. We wanted to all get manicures, but there was a HUGE riot (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) with police in riot gear and tear gas and stuff at the New Core store, so we couldn't get manicures. In all seriousness, it wasn't that bad of a protest, but freaked us out a bit. Labour laws in Korea have recently changed to allow for health insurance and pension for part-time workers. Some of the companies responded by firing those workers - which is really unfair....I'll post a link to a site that is hosting a letter-writing campaign once I find it again). Anyway, we hid out in Nina's apartment and watched bad TV and complained about our nails until Melissa and Jessica headed home.

That evening, I went to a party at Andy and Suze's place. They are on their way back to Scotland via Trans-Siberian Railway (!!!!!). It was also a chance for me to say goodbye to Jeannie, who heads back to Canada next week. You might remember them all from TKD. I took tons of pictures, but won't be able to upload until I get to Mokpo on Friday.

Sunday was a glorious lazy day of sloth-ing (moving so slowly that moss may actually grow on you) and relaxing, until hunger drove me out at about 8 pm. I joined Tyrone at The Outhouse Cafe and watched him devour a scary looking steak that was big enough to have its own personality (I had salad which, though lacking in character was actually quite delicious because it's not kimchi). I went to bed way too late, woke up way too early and am now back at camp.

I'll be here until Friday, then go back to Mokpo and then to Gwangju on Saturday to meet the incoming teachers and give them a workshop on Sunday. I'll have to admit that I am looking forward to next Monday to Thursday (school starts again next Friday), when I plan to relax, hike and try to get to one of the beaches around Mokpo for one last time).

So, Mom, I admit, I don't have a good excuse for not writing you more e-mails. I mean, it isn't like I'm not completely addicted to computers and the internet. Have a great time on vacation and enjoy the rest of your summer.

Lots of love,

Your Daughter Who Promises to Write More E-mails to You

P.S. Expect a birthday list in the coming weeks.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home