Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Is that a paper airplane?

Ms Parker in Korea!

Monday, May 08, 2006

Is that a paper airplane?




So, you know how on TV and in comics, when they want to show a totally out of control class, there is always a paper airplane flying around?

That was my first class in Korea.

Now, before you start feeling sorry for me, I thought that it was absolutely hilarious like... "Hey, is that a paper airplane?". (yeah, the first class I saw was the worst class of the whole school, so sez co-teacher) Now, in true Ms. Parker fashion, I grabbed the airplane, found who it belonged to and yelled at her (!) in English (co-teacher translated, and probably made it sound more menacing than it was). So, what was the problem? Well, I guess years and years of teaching Enriched English have not prepared me for the Korean levels of English: they can write (although "I'm favorite food potato" almost rivals "me happy hot dress" and "me funny guitar" for as The Worst English Sentence Ever), they can read, they can't speak and there is no way of knowing what they understand. This makes it difficult to not be too easy or difficult.... Think I need a stick.

You will all be happy to know that my class in the afternoon went 500 times better. It was a lot of fun. Big sigh of relief.

It wasn't me.

It was them.

Right?

In other news, I now have an internet connection at home, so I can start uploading some of my pictures of Korea. I think I will start with me and two soldiers... and a tank full of sea cucumbers. In Korea, "STAMINA" (think "male virility") is very important, and the theory goes that if it looks like one... and you eat it... well, it will help yours out.

And, while I'm at it: my first Engrish sign (known as Konglish in Korea). This was in a pool hall in Gwangju, my first day in Korea, after a 14 hour flight and no sleep and all that. I'm proud of it!

6 Comments:

  • Sea sausages.... yum.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 PM  

  • Hi its Mom
    Neat!!!! I'm printing all of these blogs off for you, so in years to come you can have a good laugh about it all
    Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 PM  

  • It is amazing how you seem to be able to find soldiers everywhere. Only these ones seem sober...? I guess it wasn't Fleet Week in Suncheon? Katrina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:25 AM  

  • Hi Katrina... but these soldiers are holding hands...

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:13 AM  

  • Greets to the webmaster of this wonderful site. Keep working. Thank you.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:19 AM  

  • Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
    »

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home