Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Only in Korea III: PANIC AT HOMEPLUS!

Ms Parker in Korea!

Friday, July 28, 2006

Only in Korea III: PANIC AT HOMEPLUS!

So, I had to go to the bank to exchange money for my upcoming trip to Malaysia/Singapore/Japan today. On my way back, I decided to stop at HomePlus, the nearest department store to Shidae Apartments where I live.

When I arrived, there were no less than 5 firetrucks parked in front of the store. Noting the general lack of panic, I went inside to take advantage of the aircon and see what was happening. As usual, I was greeted by a nice lady. All the staff was lined up next to their cash registers and wares as if on a normal day. A very pleasant soothing voice was making announcements on the loud speaker. All in all, it looked like a normal shopping day at HomePlus.... well, except for the two staff members who were holding a firehose that they'd unrolled from the wall, but even they were very calmly holding it, waiting for further instructions. There was even a man sitting there with his two young children, just waiting to see if the store was open or not.

Another announcement came on... this time a little less calm. About 10 employees came running out of one part of the store, motioning for everyone to move towards the exits. One of the staff ladies smiled at me, and gently indicated the exit door. I bowed, and left. As I walked to the taxi that was parked along side the 6 firetrucks and 2 ambulances, I couldn't help but muse that this was possibly the most relaxed emergency situation that I have ever seen. And, as my taxi sped away, I saw a group of schoolgirls wandering in to the door that I'd just come out of.

Special Bonus Blog Game!!

Here is a selection of the currency that I currently have on me. All of this currency (except for the twoonie) will have been used or will be used within the same month. Can you identify it all?

2 Comments:

  • Can't see the coins, but spiraling down, in order:
    5 Chinese Yuan Renminbi
    100 Singapore Dollars
    1,000 Japanese Yen {Although Yen is Latinised with the symbol ¥. The Japanese pronounce it "Em" with the symbol 円.}
    20 American Dollars
    10,000 Korean (South) Won.

    Am I right?
    Do I win a prize?
    What do I get?
    :P

    By Blogger Goulash, at 11:59 AM  

  • You win!

    Of all the people, you should be able to identify one of the coins: Malaysian change that *you* found in your drawer! The other one is a Canadian twoonie.

    Your prize is a fabulous 2 night stay in the luxurious Shidae apartments, including a foot attack by Jakob the rabid Korean kitten.

    Hmmm, think you already had your prize.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 12:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home