Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Only in Korea, Part III

Ms Parker in Korea!

Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Only in Korea, Part III

A few more fun little quirky things about my home:

Mmmmm punta punta punta punta: Every morning, there is a man who walks around the Shidae apartment complex. In a very deep voice, he chants something that sounds like "punta punta punta". At first, I thought he was either praying or crazy. Turns out he comes around to collect your dry cleaning! Haven't tried it out yet.

Gardenia: Jen came by on Monday evening with a Gardenia blossom, plucked from one of the bushes near New Core (department store). I've got it sitting in a teacup full of water and it smells amazing. Lots of flowers bloomed last week (with the rain?) like lilies and tall things like I saw in Cuba. I'm not all up on the whole floral species thing as my flower divisions are "pretty", "nice", and "smells funny".

Exams: We are in exam week. Every morning, I have to proctor exams. There are two teachers per class of 35 students to discourage cheating. All of the exams are multiple choice, done on those computer cards where you fill in the box. The students fill them out in black magic marker (!) so you spend your time giving them new cards everytime they make a mistake. Also, I have had to wake a few students up DURING the exams -- they fall asleep at a moment's notice.

Whacking sticks: On Monday afternoon, I went on a picnic with all the female teachers of my school. It was soooo nice. Sitting at a low table, next to a fountain, under trees, and I ate VERY deliciously. After lunchee, we wandered up to Seonamsa, the nearby temple. I bought a bell and some bracelets for my nieces. The teachers all bought new whacking sticks! It was so funny.... we all came out of the shop to show off our purchases and they were all taking turns slapping each other's hands with their new bamboo sticks. My head teacher asked me if I wanted one and I said No, but now I kind of regret it. I should have bought one (not to use, of course, just for the culturality of it).

Camp Panic! Every Waguk teacher who has to do a camp is currently panicking over what to do and how to plan it out. It's kind of funny how we all end up with the same problems at the same time. Me, I'm waiting until the last minute so that I may partake of the "all-nighter designing of an entire camp panic" myself.

Rice and shoes: After over two months of eating rice every day, I have stopped taking it at lunchee at the cafeteria. This has led the teachers at my school to believe that I am somewhat mentally deranged and/or anorexic. Sitting down at the table with other teachers guarantees pointing and comments on what I am or am not eating. Tres annoying.
Wearing chopsticks in my hair also resulted in peals of laughter from some of my badboy students. I told them I'd wear a fork next.
When I arrive at school, I am supposed to change into my "indoor slippers". These are not slippers, but sandals. The other day, Zhao Lei (Chinese teacher, takes the same bus as I do) and I arrived, looked at our feet and said "Hey, we're already wearing sandals", so just walked in. Ya. BUSTED! We were both told that for the "well-being of the school environment", we need to change our sandals every day. Now, from what I can observe, it doesn't matter if you change into shoes that you have already worn outside, or plastic flip-flops, or high heels, or whatever, you just have to change your shoes.

*Meaghan and Bridget: your b-day presents were sent off yesterday. Should arrive in 2 weeks or so. Sorry that they are late, but I really wanted to include those bracelets, and had to get to Seonamsa to get them*

1 Comments:

  • Thanks soo much, we can't wait to get them.

    Happy Belated Canada Day!<3

    love lots,
    -Meaghan<3

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home