Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Stag Beetles and Girls' Night

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, July 09, 2006

Stag Beetles and Girls' Night


On Friday, Nicola came up from Wando, via Gwangju where she'd had a meeting. Like an old married couple, we sat and read until it was time to go out. While Nicola hung out with Matt and Helen, I went out with a gaggle of gals for Girls' Night - we went to a Korean Jazz bar and it was kind of funny because they sat us in the table at the front window. Were we window dressing? (In picture from left to right: Giselle, Jen, Emily, April, me, Cassandra, Kirsten, Annie, Candace.)

Before heading out, we stopped by the grocery store. Just outside the doors was a 3-inch long stag beetle. While I waited for Nicola, I watched him wander around, often being narrowly missed by passing feet. It took a bit of courage, but I picked him up and put him in a nearby garden. His first reaction, of course, was to pinch me. That's his job, you know. The pinchers on a stag beetle really don't hurt that much. Still, it was a thrill to hold him!

On Saturday, I went to see Pirates of the Caribbean with Nina and Karen, then went out on a whim to Gwangyang to see some of Karen's friends. We ended up coming back to Suncheon where we went to.... Julianna bar of course, and danced until the wee hours.

Now, I am trying to plan lessons for summer school and summer camp while learning Chinese and getting more than 2 notes out of my NEW (used) GUITAR!



This is a stag beetle, by the way.

SKYPE: In other news, I have installed Skype on my computer at home. If you have Skype installed (think free long distance over the Internet), just look for msparkerinkorea. If not, expect a call from me from time to time. I miss hearing everyone's voices.

6 Comments:

  • Hi Its MOM Wow I love the beetle Didn't realize you had interesting bugs there like that. Love MOM
    PS incase your friends wonder about me, I love BUGS, BIG BUGS! and glad that you follow suit.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 PM  

  • Hi Mom,

    Stag beetles are cool. But there are some odd bugs here.... like weird beetles.

    The only ones I kill without question are the cockroaches.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:11 AM  

  • Ummm... excuse me Virginia, but where the heck did you get that tan!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:16 AM  

  • Yeah really, I wondered that too!

    By Blogger Jen @ Light Enough to Travel, at 10:08 AM  

  • Thanks for making it out for Ladies Night! It was so much fun... We'll definitely have more girlie nights before I head back home... :(

    Oh..and just wait till you see lots of Preying Mantis' all around...they can rotate their heads quite far...so creepy... They like Shidae and door knobs... :)

    Talk to you later,
    April :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:31 AM  

  • i'm so proud of you for rescuing the big bug. i had a baby preying mantis on me the other day and steve had to rescue ME as i almost went into a coma. kel:)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home