Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Where I was this evening (not avoiding Meron, I swear)

Ms Parker in Korea!

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Where I was this evening (not avoiding Meron, I swear)

This evening, I made supper for Ms Cheong and Mrs Myeong. They wanted "traditional Canadian food". What was I supposed to serve them? Kraft Dinner? Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches? Fish sticks? Grilled cheese and tomato soup?

I made a tossed salad with an herb garlic dressing, spinach fettucine primavera and vanilla ice cream with mango and pineapple for dessert. Oh, and two bottles of white wine. I taught them how to taste wine, and we had fun sniffing each wine and saying what we thought they smelled like. They said that the meal was very "mild". This is a polite way of saying "This sucks. Where the heck is the kimchi?". I explained to them that Canadian (North American) food is like an orchestra - it can all blend together, or you can taste each subtle flavour alone. So, when you eat a salad, you taste the lettuce, the carrot, the cucumber, and each herb in the dressing, the olive oil will come through.

They were polite about it, and ate everything, and yes, they did bring out kimchi too (after the ice cream and fruit - geez!). And next time I have to bring forks, since fettucine loses its charm when eaten with chopsticks.

Then I went to TaeKwonDo and sweated out a bottle of white wine. From the island school to the broken English supper to TKD, it's been a long day.

4 Comments:

  • Maybe you could have put together a little texas chili! That woulda knocked their socks off.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:31 AM  

  • I wonder if they make kimchi-flavoured ice cream...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:28 PM  

  • You spent HOW long in Quebec? You never learned how to make Poutine and Tortiere? Tortiere I can understand your not knowing how to make...(the whole meat thing)but Poutine??? Cheese and potatoes...two of your favorite things. I can't think of any more Canadian food than that. Tell the Hoo Haas that your friends will get them REAL Candadian food when they come to the Falls this summer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:31 PM  

  • I forgot...I'm still feeling neglected...I don't care that you put my name in the title of your post (much)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home