Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: The end of October

Ms Parker in Korea!

Thursday, October 25, 2007

The end of October

So, for the past few weeks, I've been looking at the end of October as just one big looming deadline.

Tomorrow, my school is having a "School Festival" - like a pageant - and my Grade 6 class will be performing a very confusing and morbid play about a little boy frog who inadvertently kills his mother when he goes to Snake Valley. Yeah... Well... I'm super proud of my students anyway. It's been a lot of hard work on their part and a lot of yelling on mine to get them to the point where they are not only reciting their lines, but acting as well.

The School Festival is conveniently on the same day as a huge teachers' meeting that will get all the foreign teachers from around Mokpo together for some workshops. Nicola and I are going to give one of these workshops together, which should be interesting (I hope!). We'll be presenting to about 230 waygook and Korean teachers. I guess, by now, I've given enough of these teacher talks that I shouldn't be nervous anymore... but still.

Saturday night is the Mokpo Hallowe'en Party. I'm a (very small) part of the planning committee. See, I was using my students as a sort of Hallowe'en decorations sweatshop - hoping that I wouldn't have to make any decorations myself because I'd just get them to do it all. Unfortunately, I had forgotten that my kids are pretty much all thumbs when it comes to crafty things. It made for a week of very fun classes though, as we spent most of our time colouring Jack o'Lanterns and making toilet-paper ghosts. I was really proud of a HUGE spider that I made, that lived at the back of the class in a big toilet-paper web. The kids all made smaller versions of my spider and I hung them all over the web. Really awesome.

My article for Cat Fancy has been coming along well. The first draft was written last week, and is now currently being majorly overhauled (hmmm, hard to believe that, with a sentence like that one, anyone wants me writing for them....). I still have a week to finish it up....

And, on Saturday, Ty is going to pretty much move to Mokpo. Since his job doesn't start until December, he will be staying with me for a part of the time (and probably heading home for a visit too). We had a bit of a cohabitation practice this week, and it seems that we are able to live in a small space without clawing each other's eyes out (he does dishes, which is really good because I really don't).

With my school distracted by the festival practices, I managed to sneak away ridiculously early every day - I'm supposed to stay until 5 pm, but I left as early as 12:30 on some days. It was nice to have this mini-holiday - I showed Ty around Mokpo (sometimes on the scooter too), and most evenings were spent with friends. It did make for a very tiring week, but well worth it.

1 Comments:

  • so what are you dressing up as? steve, miles and trevor dressed up as the trailer park boys for a party, so i went as sarah - blue eyeliner, velvet leopard print tank, platforms...you get the idea.

    tsk. tsk. what an example you're setting for your students!

    k

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home