Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Hiking!

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Hiking!

We finally got a chance to hike - and it was absolutely beautiful!

Nicola and I went up a rather steep (but very lush) trail. At the top we found a temple building. Off each corner of the roof there was a bell, ringing as it was pushed by the wind. It was an eerily holy feeling place. The steps leading up from the trail were all stones. The view was beautiful, but visibility was poor, given that it was misty and drizzly. I can only imagine what it would have been like to be that high up on a clear day.

We continued around the temple, found more steps and a sign reading "Cave". We went a bit further up and found ourselves in a Buddhist shrine inside a beautiful, well lit cave. We removed our shoes, stepped onto the hardwood floor and sat on cushions. The Buddha was standing, and white, and surrounded by shelves of oil lamps. Amazing.

Afterwards, we walked back down the (treacherous, wet) stone steps and went on to the main temple complex. Korean temples are painted on every inch with flowers, lines, shapes, Buddhas etc. I really loved it. With only 90 minutes, we certainly didn't have enough time to see everything. I can't wait to be able to spend a full day of temple/hiking -- maybe next weekend?

Tonight, we are off to a Hof (Korean pub) and a Nori Bang (Karaoke rooms). What should I sing?

Please leave me messages or e-mails and tell me about your daily lives. Thanks Ann for the photos - it makes me feel more connected.

8 Comments:

  • If you like the dried squid, you've got to try the dried jellyfish. The jellyfish and silkworms were always my favorite. There are more temples per capita in Korea than there are Tim Hortons etc. here in Niagara. Which do you prefer more - temples or coffee?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:53 PM  

  • Were you able to take photos?! I'm jealous. Of course, on the islands their paranoid about us "stealing" their culture...not like there was anything else to do there! Will you be staying in the hotel the whole time?! Lucky YOU!

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:30 AM  

  • As for the dried jellyfish...I wasn't a huge fan. Guess it all depends!

    By Blogger Monica, at 12:30 AM  

  • Hi Its Mom, Wow, glad you got a chance to go hiking, I know thats what you were interested in - BUT KAREOKE????? I've never heard you sing. I'll bet your cat Max can meow better them you do at singing. Oh yeh! I brushed a bushel of hair out of her today & yes, she did meow very loudly. Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:43 AM  

  • Sounds like you are having a great time!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:18 AM  

  • I LOVE NORI BANG (Karaoke).

    It was an absolutely crazy night with lots of singing and jumping on the couches.

    Yes, Katrina, it was like Lost in Translation with the private room and couch. Next time I will wear a pink wig.

    I'm loving the dried jellyfish vs dried squid debate. Will wait until my Korean is better before ordering silkworms as I'm afraid of ending up with pig entrails.

    Please come visit me!

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 7:29 AM  

  • Having a hard time posting on blogger these days. For some reason it just doesn't work, and since my screen is all in Korean at the moment (hotel computer), I can't figure out how to fix it.

    Natalia: Will send images for header soon

    Myrianne and Mom: the photo is downtown Gwangju - yes the neon can be overwhelming sometimes. Pic is of me, Nicola and Steve.

    Will get to Suncheon tomorrow! Will write lots to describe apartment etc. My Korean co-teacher enjoys hiking and soju, and she studied French in University. We already have lots in common!

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:54 AM  

  • from Alan (brother)

    Wow! the blog and photos are great! Glad to see you are exploring and enjoying. Spring has sprung and we're all finally enjoying the great uotdoors

    see ya

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home