Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: We're in the newspaper!

Ms Parker in Korea!

Saturday, April 22, 2006

We're in the newspaper!

To our surprise this morning, as we were going to our Korean music class, we were shown the sports section of yesterday's paper. There was a picture of Brent, me, Nicola, Steve (and a bit of Stuart's head) cheering at the baseball game!

That's one cool part about being here - the attention. Of course, sometimes it is a bit out of hand: Yesterday, we went to a park and ended up getting swarmed by small children. They were very cute, but very bold (grabbing at clothes etc) and very noisy.

We also went to a sushi restaurant (even "vegetarian" dishes seem to contain meat/fish, so I am getting good at eating seafood), then off to a "Foreigner Bar" (Soul Train). Personally, I'd rather be in a "Hof" (Korean run pub).

Today, we learned some traditional Korean music - It was awesome! Very percussion-based and the songs are very melodic. I guess I was expecting it to be more abrasive.

This afternoon, we are off to a soccer match at World Cup Stadium. We'll surely be in the papers again tomorrow!

Just to give you an idea of the food: for breakfast this morning, I had spicy tofu soup, rice, pickled garlic, kimchi, some green thing, possibly a squid piece... and hazelnut coffee.

We are taking tons of pics here, but no direct Internet access into my computer and the hotel computer uses a Korean-language operating system. This means that you can expect a ton of pics once I get to Suncheon. It seems that there are many many foreigners there and we met a few of them last night (Ummm, when I say foreigner, I mean non-Korean. Lots of Aussies, Kiwis, Canadians, and a few Brits).

Oh, wait... and I almost forgot: I found a Body Shop in downtown Gwangju by the Hof (but they are not open at 1:30 am). Yesterday afternoon, though, I went into a beauty cream store and was impressed with the selection. Equally impressive was the shop girl (dressed head to toe in pink frills and stripes) who followed me an inch off my shoulder as I strolled through the store. A bit intimidating, but it's the Korean way.

Happy Birthday again to Ian - His mohawk is gorgeous and I will upload a photo once I possible can. Char: How did you manage to put a pic of Kaylin in your comment? She's gorgeous!

To reiterate: I love it here.

2 Comments:

  • What an amazing first week! Thanks for the email and pic. I'm really happy for you. Let me know when you have a phone.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

  • Hi, Its Mom Save the newspaper clippings or mail them home. How much fun is that? What a first week!

    Hi Ina, now your turn.

    Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home