Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Woohoo! This is fun!

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

Woohoo! This is fun!

Here's the e-mail that I sent to my mom (and various folks who were possibly waiting for me in Mokpo) when I arrived in the thriving metropolis of Jangheung. You may also refer to Jangheung as "the ass-end of nowhere".

Alright - After waking up to rain, I left Suncheon at about 2:30 this afternoon... it looked like the pavement was dry enough, the air was warm enough etc. And I was antsy to go.
I had the best ride to Nagan - felt really good.
Ended up following a road that I'd already been on during some random
explorations of outer-Suncheon area on my scooter a few weeks back with Stu to
get there, so it was reassuring to be in familiar territory.
It was so gorgeous - buds on trees. mist on the moutains, hardly any traffic. I made it to Beolgyo with no problems at all (except for fogging up my helmet every time I
giggled). Discovered that the acoustics inside said helmet are great for singing
to yourself.
Right, from Beolgyo to Boseong, I hopped on the 2, having been assured that it was a calm bit of it. And it was - the road I take to school is more of a "highway" than this was. Once again, hardly any traffic.
Got a bit lost in Boseong, and kind of wished I had thought to bring Vanessa's number (what was I thinking??), but ended up going in the right general direction.
Ended up on the 2 again, but didn't really want to be there. Got myself on a
small 2-lane road that runs beside the 2 instead and found my way to
Jangheung.
I've done about 86 km, and Red Devil is doing fine. I've used a
grand total of about 2,500 won in gas.
Tomorrow morning, I am going to check out a temple that is near the town before heading to Gangjin. In Gangjin, I want to look at a few touristy things before I head to Mokpo. I didn't really stop at all today because I was a) FREEZING (even with all my layers) and b) it was still misty and c) I didn't know how long it took to get from point A to point B.
So far, having a blast. Am going to climb into my comfy hotel bed at the
Jin Song Tourist Hotel and watch movies on TV now. I can't believe how tiring it
is to ride the scooter for so long - my right arm is stiff from turning the
throttle thingy and my entire body is sore from nerves (my battle scars of some
very clumsy - on my part - TKD sparring last night isn't helping any).

This morning, I am up early and on my way to explore a bit of the peninsula below Jangheung and Gangjin (for those of you with maps of Korea... for those of you *without* maps of Korea, click here) before I head up to Mokpo. It was so much fun to spread my maps out on the hotel bed last night and see what was out here. I wouldn't have come to this place if it weren't for this little folly of mine.

3 Comments:

  • I am so glad to read that you have yet to fall down and go boom. Fingers crossed for the rest of the trip! 31 days till you're home!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:05 AM  

  • Woohoo! Go V!

    By Blogger Jen @ Light Enough to Travel, at 11:34 AM  

  • I watched 4 episodes of M*A*S*H tonight, but I don't think I REALLY got a feel for where you are, or where you are headed. Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the whee-ul.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home