Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Gurye trip with the Cha family

Ms Parker in Korea!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Gurye trip with the Cha family



I just had one of the best days ever! I went out with Cha Hyun Seok, the banker and his wife and two children: Ha Eun (Korean age = 12 years, Canadian age = 10?) and Ha Min (8 or 6?). Ha Eun is actually one of Helen's students - small world. Hyun Seok doesn't look it, but he is 41 years old. He has been to Canada a few times, and the US to run marathons. He came in 11th in the Honolulu Marathon! Anyway, both Hyun Seok and his wife have family members who live in the US or Canada, so their English is quite good. Ha Eun was very shy, but Ha Min (the little one) was anything but! She spent all day giggling at me - holding my hand, playing with my hair, jiggling my upper arms (she loved that!) and trying out English phrases, while I tried out my Korean.

We went to Gurye, a small city just north of Suncheon. First stop was a dragonfly museum, with a visit to a greenhouse, small farming museum, garden, and petting zoo. It was really neat. Then, we went for lunch. Imagine a table, about 6 x 3 so covered in dishes full of food that you can't even find a place to put your chopsticks! I am really going to miss the huge variety of tasty Korean vegetables. Their greens are like nothing else. Really delicious.

After that, we went towards Jiri-san, the mountain that I'd climbed before, and stopped at a historical house. It had been a nobleman's house and had been rebuilt. You can actually stay there, like a hotel. We looked at everything and went for a short hike through some fields. I really thought that the natural well was the most amazing thing ever.

Then, we went back to Suncheon. Ha Eun had to go to her bible study class, so we went to the Cha's church where we sat outside and drank some juice while enjoying the gorgeous weather. There was this older man who walked by wearing traditional Korean clothes and I just couldn't take my eyes off him. He let me take a picture with him. What you can't see in the picture is how long and white his beard was... how unlined his face was.... that the buttons on his jacket were baubles... that even his shoes were old style.

I took a million pictures, which I have posted on my Flickr account. Follow the link on the right. In only a few days, I have uploaded almost my entire quota for the month. I'll have to calm down a bit with the pictures. They are worth a look - and read the descriptions too, since I give a lot more information there.

.... and last night, the waguks went out (of course) and had ourselves a good giggle over the fact that today is Erection Day (remember, "r" and "l" are the same sign in Hangeul), which is why we got a day off. Actually, if you follow the link to Brent's blog, he's got a bit of a write up about the whole election phenomena here. It's very different from Canada.

9 Comments:

  • Hi Its MOM WOW! What wonderful adventures you are having. All because you went to exchange $$$s at the bank. Doesn't happen to me Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:01 PM  

  • You look great in the pictures "Skinny Minny". I hate you.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:16 PM  

  • what a nice family they are. cute little girls. i'm confused about their ages. are koreans on a different calender or something?

    thanks for the door pic! as soon as i saw it i was like 'ohhh pretty ' then i saw the caption and cracked up.

    the old man is amazing. like in a ninja movie. kel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:17 AM  

  • For anyone who is curious about how Koreans tell their age: In Korea, they count the nine months spent in the womb as part of the age. Korean babies turn one year old at 3 months of age. Meron

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:46 AM  

  • Those pictures of the mountains are totally worth a 5 hour hike! They look like those watercolours with the mist rising from the valleys! Your ancestors were giving you quite the treat! I'd love to be able to get up there with my drawing class! (Wednesday nights 7-9 at the Strega). Howzat for news? It's sweltering here, a week after 4 degrees Celsius, it's up to 40 degrees with the humidity.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 AM  

  • Yay comments.

    Yes, the Korean age thing is a bit confusing. Apparently, you can even add 2 years to your date if you were born before Lunar New Year or something. I still can't figure it out. I'm 32 in Korea, and that's depressing.

    I hope to have more outings with the Cha family - Ha Min is just too cute for words.

    Hey Elbows! Glad you liked the misty mountains. You can paint misty mountains 24 hours a day here, that's all you see.

    "Skinny Minny" - that's from Char, Jo or Tiff, I know.... It's surprising just how much you can eat and drink here. You know what the difference is? No cheese. No butter. Only a few fried things.

    Cheers.

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 8:09 AM  

  • Skinny Minny was from me. A good friend would have known that instinctively. You are a pretty crappy friend. Sniff!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:28 PM  

  • Thanks Meron!

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 11:16 PM  

  • ellie here... it was great chatting on IM with u today... you look great!!! I read all your entries from the beginning... wow you have done so much in such a short period of time!!!
    I'm trying to figure out when would be the best time to come and visit with you!!!
    keep you posted!
    miss u
    e

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home