Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: Gwangju Weekend

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Gwangju Weekend

Just got back from Gwangju, where I spent an awesome weekend with Karen, Morgan and Arsalan. Highlights included shopping for jewelry with Morgan, shopping for clothes with Arsalan (he and I make a wonderful shopaholic duo), eating lots of delicious food with Nicola at the "Foreigner Festival", being recognized by the shop girl at Aveda, chatting endlessly on a street corner with a very flustered Korean man (No English! said he, as I babbled on) while wandering the streets at 4 am with a few American GIs and Max, my friend from Naju who finally dragged me away from the poor man. All in all, a great weekend - but so tiring!

I'm a bit bummed though, because my new camera (that I bought from Arsalan) seems to have swallowed my photos - or my computer did - and they have vanished into thin air. I'm mad: I had a great pic of Stu and Max looking hungover in a Japanese restaurant, and a super wicked awesome pic of Morgan and Karen. Also a picture of me enjoying some Indian food.

My mom arrives on Friday morning, and I am really excited. So are a few of my friends who will certainly share in the bounty that will arrive from Canada. Plans for her visit include a trip up to Seoul to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone), a visit to Gwangju, my b-day in Mokpo and, most certainly, a few scooter rides and TaeKwonDo classes.

Took my scooter out for a boot on Friday afternoon.... and even had to gas her up. Yes, for the first time in my life, I have bought gas for a vehicle that I own. In an "Only in Korea" moment, the girl who filled my tank was dressed in a sort of cheerleader get-up, which is completely normal here, you know.


This week, I will be passing my first TaeKwonDo test. Eeek. Wish me luck. By the way, just stole this pic off Cassandra's site. I'm in the back, 2nd from left, watching Joey and Haydar go at it. Hopefully, I will never ever ever ever ever have to spar with Haydar. Joey is a brave brave boy. (No, I do not spar for my test)

5 Comments:

  • Part of me misses the photos, part of me wants to know the price of gas, and part of me wants to see the girl in the cheerleading outfit, but it is grape and Wine here, so off to Christina's for fuel, then clean the de-militarized zoneat the Mansion House.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:56 PM  

  • Hey!! I can't beleive that Max stayed up till 4am with you guys. Honestly.. i barely stayed on my chair. He hiked Wolchulsan with us for almost 7 hours that day. That guys is our hero!!
    Can't wait to see you and your mom in Mokpo!!
    Good luck at TKD!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:04 PM  

  • Hi Its MOM My house looks like the demilitarized zone since Ian & Laura stayed over for 2 nts, I'm trying to pack 2 enormous suitcases & trying to make my apt look presentable for 9 ladies tomorrow night for a meeting & toss 7 hours of work in each day, I'll be looking forward to that long 20 hour flight to Korea as my rest time. Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:56 AM  

  • Mr. Elbows - the cheerleader get-up is everywhere! In grocery stores, gas stations, elections and, when a new store opens or has a sale or whatever, you can watch the cheerleaders dancing on stages in front of the store. Rather surreal.

    Jakob has turned my apartment into a demilitarized zone as well. This morning he got out, and I was already running (I thought) a bit late and I had to chase up up and down the outside hallway while he arched his back, kicked up his heels and purred at me. What a fun new game for the morning!

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 9:17 AM  

  • Hey,

    Good luck with your tkwd test. I know you'll do great :)Unlike myself who sorta quit just one test away from my black belt... (shaking head back and forth ... lol). Meh...no regrets. I can always take classes again.

    Hope you have a great time with your mom visiting :) Wish I was still there to meet her.

    Miss ya girl,
    Ciao,
    A :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home