Human Trafficking
Human Trafficking
Ms Parker in Korea!: I still can't believe it...

Ms Parker in Korea!

Sunday, March 25, 2007

I still can't believe it...



I can't believe I actually did it. Me. The girl who doesn't have a driver's license because she's "afraid of traffic".... I made it from Suncheon to Mokpo on my little Red Devil.

After putzing around (lost-ish: Have you ever asked for - and understood - directions in Korean??) in Jangheung, I finally managed to escape and headed south on National Road 23, which goes over a mountain before skirting the coastline of the peninsula south of Jangheung, all the way up to Gangjin.



To say that it was "pretty" or "beautiful" or "breathtaking" would be an understatement. The mountains are high, the valleys are low, the rice paddies are green, the sea was as smooth as glass (and stinky). And everything just feels so "authentic".

Video - 360 view of a valley:



You get the feeling riding around there that you are pretty much the first "tourist" to visit... there are traditional graves everywhere, making it feel like there are more people buried under the ground than living on the land. There are anti-FTA banners EVERYWHERE. These are the people (really really rural farmers) who will feel the most effects - for better or for worst - if the Free Trade Agreement between the USA and South Korea goes through.

Video - Beautiful house and garden:



It took about 2 hours to do the loop from Jangheung to Gangjin, keeping in mind that I was literally stopping every 10 minutes to gasp at the view, take pictures and wander aimlessly down random roads, usually looking for poorly sign-posted temples and the like, which I never succeeded in finding. Just before Gangjin, I stopped at a Traditional Korean Celadon Pottery compound, which is what this area is known for - if it is "known" at all. It was pretty much deserted, but I was happy to find one store that was open. I picked up some things for myself, Chad and my family.


After lunch in Gangjin, I headed straight for Mokpo on the 2, which is, yes... a rather busy highway. Fortunately, there was a laneway just next to it (probably for farmers to use with their scooters and handcarts etc) that I used whenever possible. As I rolled past Wolchulsan, I could hardly contain myself - I was cheering and squealing inside my helmet.

I arrived in Mokpo ahead of schedule, and surprised myself by finding my way to Chad's apartment - only getting lost once (Note to self: keep visor down when passing the disgusting stinky fish market) - where I met up with Nicola and Chad and did the official changing of the guard. Red Devil will live with Chad until I get back from Canada.



Video - view from the top of Chad's building, where I will move in May:



Without putting too much meaning into this and getting all dramatic or whatever, this really was an amazing experience for me. I am so lucky, so fortunate to be living where and how I am right now.

Wow.



Mom, can I get a motorcycle?

10 Comments:

  • Absolutely unbelievable. What a monster ride.

    You are my hero.
    Any thoughts of a repeat voyage?

    By Blogger Brent, at 8:29 PM  

  • Hi Its MOM Sure you can get a license, I'll teach you how to drive in the Walmart parking lot the day the Old Age Pension cheques come in, now that is an Adventure!!! And you should have your Black Belt by then.

    Congratulations, so glad that you made it there safely. Love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:31 PM  

  • Congrats! I knew you would make it ;)
    And, see, I told you you would have fun! When I went to the Rockies, from Jasper to Banff, I was stopping every 5-10 minutes to take pictures of the mountains and take time to wonder how come it's that enormous...

    Well, keep us updated!

    By Blogger Jiji, at 11:18 PM  

  • yeahhhhhh! you made it ok, i can sleep now....i had total faith in you but what can i say other than sorry - the mommy hormones are making me a worry wart.

    kel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:50 AM  

  • Hey, I am so proud of you this is amazing!
    Katrina

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:26 AM  

  • Woohoo!

    Thanks... I feel very good (and slightly stiff too).

    Mom, I didn't ask if I could get a "license" but a "motorcycle"...

    So, uh, can I?

    By Blogger Ms Parker, at 7:04 AM  

  • I knew you'd do it. These silly people doubting the little Red Devil?!?

    It sounds like an amazing trip. We'll have to do it together some time... maybe when you get that motorcycle.
    ;)

    By Blogger Goulash, at 11:36 AM  

  • Very, very, very COOL! You are my hero! What a great ride!

    By Blogger Carol-Ann Murray, at 9:45 PM  

  • Hi Its MOM "No" to motorcycle, I like your pretty face.

    Lots of love MOM

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:04 AM  

  • wow

    you are so fortunate to live how and when you do

    what a great experience! reminds me of the time i hitchhiked across switzerland - no, actually, more like the time I circumnavigated lake maricaibo in dad's company car or maybe the time i drove to puerto vallarta and back in a friend's pickup truck

    wait a sec - you did this on a 49cc scooter!?!?!

    ok, so maybe you topprd me this time...

    In other news, I've been spending lots of time on workopolis.com lately.

    lots and lots of time

    I'll tell you about it when you get here, in a couple weeks

    alan

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home